Thread: Extended Warranty Purchases For Lenses - Are they Necessary or a Waste?

Extended Warranty Purchases For Lenses - Are they Necessary or a Waste?

I just purchased two lenses from buydig.comand I did not purchase they extended 7 year warranty offered by Mack. Now, I am wondering if it would have been a wise thing to do since Canon only offers a one year. Some say extended warranties are a good thing and others feel it is a waste.

Has anyone ever benefited from purchasing this or on the otherhand had a bad experience trying to use one? Anyone ever dealt with a Mack warranty?

Opinions and experiences greatly appreciated!

Denise[]

Re: Extended Warranty Purchases For Lenses - Are they Necessary or a Waste?

I know it's going to be another debate, to me, I do not buy any extended warranty in any circumstance, I don't think I'll change my mind forever.

Insure your gear before you worry about warranties. Repair costs will be lower than replacement costs in most cases, and insurance might cover the major repairs.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

As previously said, go with Personal Property Insurance instead. It cost me $16 per month for $8000 worth of gear which is pretty cheap. Remember that Insurance and warranties are two different things. Warranties normally only protect you from manufacturer defects, whereas insurance protects from damage, theft, etc. Finally, I think in most cases if you have functiional problems with a lens it will usually show up before the manufaturers warranty ends----in my experience anyway.

hope this helps
    Bob

My name is Desiree and I am the Customer Relations Supervisor for Mack Camera. Thank you for your interest in Mack Camera extended warranties. If you are still interested in purchasing our warranties, please let me know if I can be of assistance. You can contact me via email at helpdesk@mackcam.com.

Thank you,

Desiree

Mack Camera and Video Inc.