Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitesurfing

Kitesurfing

As I understand its cold in the north these days, I thought I would warm you up with some summer shots from down under.

Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

I have never seen so many kites. It seems like you guys down there know how enjoy the water.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Conropl. Well this is something Australians are famous for but in this case its a bit complicated. When the wind is coming from the right direction. In this part of the bay the waters are sheltered, even in high winds, so it tends to be a popular place for Kitesurfing. Some of the more experienced Kitesurfer's take on the big waves but its very difficult to shoot unless you are on a boat.

Equipment Canon 7D, EF 70-300L (EXIF data included in each image)

Something I should say is that only the first 2 images are cropped, the others are as shot.

In the first image, unfortunately the clouds (grey sky) make the image look flat. If I were better at PP I could change it but I want to improve my shooting.

The second image (three in a row) is my favourite even though it looks a bit soft. Still don't understand why my images loose their crispness when converted to JPEG.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Tara - Cool shots. Definitely different from my part of the world right now. All those kites in the air make me wonder --- is there some kind of protocol that surfers follow, to avoid getting too close and having their kites get tangled up? Who has the right of way?

I like your second shot, but I agree that there is a bit of softness to it that doesn't seem to make sense. You obviously had a fast shutter speed, and the focal plane appears to straddle the first surfer evenly. If the raw file is sharper then at least you know the camera or lens aren't to blame.

@jonathan. Sorry, I don't know the rule of Kitesurfing, as I have never done it. My RAW to JPEG problem is definitely nothing to do with the equipment, it is either what I use or how I PP my images.

PS: This is the first time I have ever been mistaken for a Super Model. Do any Super Models have beards?

http://www.bestcelebwallpapers.com/w...1910-tara-moss

Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    PS: This is the first time I have ever been mistaken for a Super Model. Do any Super Models have beards?
    That made me smile Tara I guess you can use google to find the answer on your question...
    Great set by the way. I love to watch it, that's quite different than the ice-skating that's going on at the waters here...well was, because everything is melting again after 3 weeks of heavy frost

Well our third heat wave for the summer has just ended, hopefully that will be all for this year. I was starting to melt with night time minimum temperatures 31oC (88oF). As you guys have been having cool times I thought I would warm you up.

So with a clear blue sky I took a trip down to the beach to see what was happening, the strong cool southerly had the Kites out in force and close to the shore.

I do find it interesting that the ladies are always smiling and as soon as they see the camera (or could be my face) they move away. The blokes on the other hand, always have their race face on and as soon as they see the camera, it's move in close and put on show (even if they come unstuck).

This is the first time I have been able to shoot sports since I installed Firmware V2.0.3 in my 7D. I'm very surprised by how much its improved the cameras speed and accuracy in AF Servo.

EXIF & Geo included

Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    But of course they do!

Self-Portrait Using DSLR Controller by budrowilson, on Flickr

;-)

Have been very disappointed with what I post, of the pictures above the only one I like is the babe (no not you Sean) on the beach. The images above don't look much like what I see in PSE when viewing or printing from RAW. When I convert them to JPG they loose their sharpness even when I export to 1280 x 960 and they also loose their colour.

While I have Lightroom (3.5), I don't like it much because it doesn't allow you to do a lot of editing. The catalogue facility in LR is poor, as I'm a nerd I like to have things organised so that I can find them again.

I decided to take the worst looking image import it into LR and see what you get

While I have lost some detail its still looks a lot better. Can anybody recommend JPG export setting for PSE or LR to get the best look?

Tara Moss

Raid...I feel your pain; this happens to some of my shots (Flickr) also. Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. But I would recommend upgrading to LR5....I currently use LR4 and just recently had a chance to use LR5 (in conjunction w/CS3), IMO, a big improvement and I like LR4.

Also, I, at the moment (soon to upgrade to 5DMK3), shoot w/the 7D, 500 f4, 70-200 IS f2.8 v2, 17-55 IS f2.8.

Concerning the weather....it's currently 0* F w/a high expected in the low 20's w/another snow storm due Thursday...8 to 12" in my area.

Some good action pix here, but my favorite is the sunbather....very nice IQ. Were all your shots taken from the beach?

Bottle some of your heat and send it our way...PLEASE.

Regards,
    Bill