Thread: Good news for Aussies...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Good news for Aussies...

(just copied straight from what I wrote at CR, because I'm lazy)
    JB-Hifi have started selling grey-import DSLRs, at prices closer to the rest of the world.
    7D body $1348 (That's about what I paid in Europe for it) (compare at Teds $1800)
    5D2 body $2187, with 24-105L $3089
    niftyfifty $96
    EFs 15-85 $729
    EFs 10-22 $769

Surely there's some online places that sells cheaper, but JB is an actual brick shop, and their marketing power means the big brands will actually sit up and take notice. Nikon already has, and they've come up with the most pitiful 5-point excuses for us paying up to 50% more than other countries.
    "Not the right manual".
    Pffffffft. I bought my camera in Holland, got a dutch, german, french, and italian manual. I downloaded the english manual from the canon website, as I did for firmware updates.
    And we all know grey-market in the usa gets accepted for warranty purchases with proof of purchase.

In slightly maybe-related news, when I went to look for examples of 'high' local prices, I first thought of Teds, but I did find a nice surprise there, they're selling refurbs with the line "Canon remarketed stock: This stock is returned dealer stock that has been serviced by Canon. All stock includes a Canon 12 Month Warranty. Stock is limited. Remarketed stock available Online or at our Melbourne City store ONLY."
    For comparison, a 7D-body at $1620 is still higher than a new one at JB now, but it's nice to have the choice, and they'll come down eventually, it's only a matter of time now...
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 11-28-2011 at 10:41 AM.

That is great news. JB have always been good value but this will help out a lot.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30