Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon EF 17-40 F4 L compared to Canon 17-55 2.8 IS USM lens

Canon EF 17-40 F4 L compared to Canon 17-55 2.8 IS USM lens

Hi
    Im on the look out for an alternative to my standard kit lens and was looking originally at the 17 40 L but then started looking at the 17-55 2.8 IS USM.
    I was wondering what other peoples thoughts are on each lens. I would like to know which lens would produce the sharpest image for landscape photography.

What body are you using? If you are using a full frame body (such as the 5D or 1D series) then the 17-55mm will not be compatible.

I use the 17-40mm on a 5D Mark II and I find is acceptable for most landscape work, it's a little soft in the corners on full frame (as are nearly all ultrawide angle lenses).

If you're using a crop sensor body (7D, 50D, 60D etc) then I'd recommend the Canon 10-22mm for landscapes. I used to use it and I loved it.

Ben
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I am using a canon 1100D at the moment but want to upgrade to a 7D next year. I would rather spend my money on lenses at the moment as I think most would agree this would be the best way to go. I do have a sigma 10-20 3.5 lens which i am getting good results with and also a canon 20-35 EF which I also like very much. I am indeed no expert but do want a lens that is a little more versatile. The 2.8 aperture is attractive and the slightly longer focal length of the 17-55 is also attractive. I would like to compare both lenses side by side to be honest to see any differences so i am thinking of hiring them from a local camera shop if they have them.

Hi, if you're considering either the 17-40/4 or the 17-55/2.8 as a replacement for the standard zoom, nearly all answers in this forum will point to the EF-S 17-55. It is better on almost every single point compared to the 17-40, the exceptions I can think of is weather sealing and FF-compatibility. If you for some reason would need either sealing or FF-compatibility in the future, I recommend you to re-consider then. For the moment I would definitely say you should go for the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8.

(Of course there are other lenses, but if you choose between those two the 17-55 is the best option.)

Good luck!

even i had same question in my mind.
    as a replacement for kit lens, if i am using 17-40F4($885) or 24-105F4($1000) which is a better choice?
    i think many will suggest for 17-40 for its 17mm wide end. but then i can also consider tamron 17-50 non VC which is quiet cheaper at F2.8 and also delivers sharp images.
    what opinion do you guys have??

Senior Member francongphotography's Avatar
    Yup.I chose the 17-40 because of FF compatibility and weather sealing and a cheaper price than the 17 to 55.
    Canon 5D Mk II, 550D/T2i, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 L USM, 17-40mm f/4 L USM, 24-105mm f/4 L USM, 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM, 320EX speedlite

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/franco_ng/

Choosing the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS over the 17-40 f/4.0L was a no-brainer for me. In fact, I would have only considered the 17-40 if I shot with a FF body and needed it for a wide-angle zoom. On a crop sensor body, it is a comparatively poor standard zoom. The advantages of the EF-S include:

• The IS makes a big difference in delivering consistently sharp results from handheld shots at shutter speeds between 1/15-1/60 (sometimes even slower). This is especially handy if you are shooting with the camera held above your head or below eye level. I do both a lot to get unusual points of view at events such as dances at wedding receptions. This feature is undoubtedly what pushes the price of this lens over the 17-40, and it is worth every penny.
    • The f/2.8 advantage over the f/4.0 gives you extra stop of light and helps with low-light focusing
    • The f/2.8 opens up shallow DOF creative possibilities you can't get with the 'L'
    • The extra length of 55mm vs. 40mm gives you a little more reach and allows for more flattering portrait shots.
    • The 17-55mm is sharper edge-to-edge than the 17-40 at f/4.0

The only disadvantages are the lack of weather sealing / durability and the fact that the EF-S lens can't be used on a FF body. You've indicated that you shoot an 1100D and are thinking about upgrading to a 7D, so the latter should be of no particular concern for you. And the 17-55mm is hardly flimsy. I've even used it in some spritzing rains. I should think that unless you are a war correspondent on your way to Afghanistan, this isn't too much of a concern either.

My only regret with regard to the 17-55mm is that I waited so long to get it. I purchased it last October and it has hardly been off my primary body since.

+1 to btaylor regarding the 10-22mm if you want a wide-angle zoom for landscapes on a crop sensor body.
    Last edited by Black_Dog; 04-20-2012 at 08:05 PM.

wat abt my query?? pls suggest.

DJ, I'd suggest either the Canon 17-55mm IS or Tamron 17-50mm. I just sold my 24-105mm. It's not fast enough or wide enough for my liking, so we were using a combination of the kit lens for wide, and either the 50mm f/1.8 or 85mm f/1.8 for longer shots. If you do any video, you'll want to seriously consider the Canon despite the extra cost, just for the IS. If you need to shoot quietly, again, the Canon wins. If you don't need IS or quiet, the Tamron is supposed to be a good lens for a cheap price. It's on my list of lenses to consider purchasing. Some people think they can pair the 24-105mm with a 10-22mm, but that just seems like you'd be constantly wanting to swap lenses indoors, and really, really annoying.

Also, if you want to upgrade just for decent indoor shutter speed, rather than a thin DOF, maybe you don't need a lens at all, but a flash.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ 86 View Post
    wat abt my query?? pls suggest.
    You are kind of hijacking someone else's thread. It may be better to start your own, and you would probably get more responses.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr