Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting your foot in the door?

Getting your foot in the door?

so im looking at colleges for photojournalism. I was wondering about a few famous journalists that have different types of degrees such as visual communication, photojournalism, phyclogy, and even business... believe it or not. They have somehow got their foor in the door and became photographers for major sources with these degrees. Does anyone want to share their opinions on how to go through college and hopefully come out with a degree that could have a future in journalism/photojournalism? which degrees would you major in? how to get started after college etc.. any pros out there would be grwatly appreciated if they could share some of their backrounds and schools they went to. Thanks

Re: Getting your foot in the door?

Hey mpphoto12, I'm going into senior year in high school so I've got pretty much the same questions as you.

About a month ago I asked the head of Penn State's photo courses, Curt Chandler, the same thing. He gave me a list of good colleges and majors to look into.

Among the majors he recommended were: Photography, Photojournalism, Photography + journalism. I think Commercial Photography would be a good one too. Business is always a good course to take also because as a freelance photographer/photojournalist, you market yourself. I can't imagine you could go terribly wrong with Visual Communication classes either. I honestly can see how psychology might help because it would help you to better understand your subject.

Among the colleges he recommended were: Rochester Institute of Technologyin Rochester, New York;Ohio University in Athens, Ohio; Point Park University in Pittsburgh, PA; Syracuse University in Syracuse, New York; Western Kentucky Universityin Bowling Green, Kentucky; and finally Penn State University Park (Main Campus I believe) in Pittsburgh, PA.

He knows the directors of the courses at almost every university he suggested and spoke very highly of them.

Personally, I think I'm going to do a double major in Studio Photography and Photojournalism or Commercial Photography. Add in some business classes and I think I'll have a solid lineup of classes to base my future off of.

Hope I helped narrow your college search some. Im interested in hearing what courses some of the full time professionals here took too.

-Rodger

Rodger,

thanks for your imput. My friend is leaving this week to WKU for photojournalism and i have looked into that school as well. I appreciate your ideas and also look foward to getting help from ome pros. I am only a junior this year so i have a whole year to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger
    and finally Penn State University Park (Main Campus I believe) in Pittsburgh, PA.

Just like to point out, living in Pittsburgh myself, that it is actually in State College, PA, smack dab in the middle of the state.

glad to see Western Kentucky on that list, i'm planning on going there next fall

Really? are you a junior like me? My friend is going there next week and gt into the photojournalism program. He said the students there produce tremendous work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger

Personally, I think I'm going to do a double major in Studio Photography and Photojournalism or Commercial Photography. Add in some business classes and I think I'll have a solid lineup of classes to base my future off of.

In my humble opinion, that's an odd combination of majors that might not fly too well - double majors are usually two tangential or independent disciplines as far as I know. I'd either pick one photography track (or one that's broader and encompasses both sub-tracks mentioned above) AND do a business major, or circle back for a business degree after you finish the photography degree.

I'd suspect the best way to get your foot in the door is to start somewhere, hone skills, get noticed by someone higher up, and climb the ladder. Hoping/expecting/planning/seeking anything faster is not likely to happen, unless/until you're in the right place at the right time and do the right thing(s) with your shot(s).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by mpphoto12

Really? are you a junior like me? My friend is going there next week and gt into the photojournalism program. He said the students there produce tremendous work.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

i'm actually in college right now finishing up my general studies requirements, but from whast i've heard its an excellent school for any type of arts degree

As for minoring in photojournalism? any thoughts? is it harder to get a job related to photo if you minor in photography and major in something colmpletely different?

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    I'd suspect the best way to get your foot in the door is to start somewhere, hone skills, get noticed by someone higher up, and climb the ladder. Hoping/expecting/planning/seeking anything faster is not likely to happen, unless/until you're in the right place at the right time and do the right thing(s) with your shot(s).

I agree with this 100%. Ask your local newspaper (like the community paper) if they could use another shooter. Say you'll do it for just the experience. The biggest thing you can do is network. Go to friends' sporting events and talk to the coaches. do whatever haha.

<div>

RadicalTenth, thankyou for correcting me! Sorry about that.

peety3 that's an interesting comment and I will definitely be talking to a school counselor about that. Although I should have specified, I didn't mean to say "studio photography". I mainly meant "not photo-j" haha. Thanks for your input!

Who knows, I've got a heart for Kenyaand might end up taking a year off before college and going there. Or doing community college to get the standard credits down. Or there's a program called "Winter in Westminster" that puts up in the heart of the snowboard scene in Utah. 40+ days of riding in one semester. Dream job is a snowboard photographer, so who knows at this point? Certainly not me haha.

mpphoto12, from my [very limited] knowledge, I think if you want to do something photo related, major in it. Wanna be a photojournalist? Major in photo-j, and minor in something else rather than visa versa. Again, that's how my brain figures it.

-Rodger
    </div>