Thread: Show us your supermoon!

Show us your supermoon!

Here's my one and only. I was traveling and couldn't pause too long for a photo op. Hoping someone else got a good one.

I missed its initial ascent however was able to capture this:
    --

Dang. I'd settle for that shot too.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I think I would definitely settle for that shot!

I drove around a bit on Saturday afternoon, scoping out the best places to get a shot, somewhere it would have a tree or something in the foreground to provide a nice perspective, just after moonrise so that it would be at its biggest (Actually, I had the perfect shot in mind, if the sheep up the hill were in the right spot with a tilt-lens, I could have gotten a very nice effect straight from my driveway).

And then the clouds came. (although I did get one at 15mm with an atmospheric halo)
    And the rain came on sunday night.
    Monday night I managed to get some shots at 8pm when I got home, but by then it was too high in the sky for any perspective shots. Managed a very nice close-up with a soviet Jupiter 250mm f/3.5 and two 2x T/Cs for 1000mm f/14 (well, as nice as you'd expect for $150 worth of home-made telescope from 30 year old glass).

Nothing as good as either of those though...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I experienced the same disappointment here in the Philadelphia area.

It was overcast all weekend and only about 5-10 minute windows where I could possibly get a clean shot. Unfortunately, the moon was laready in full rise and produced some really generic shots.

Looking forward to June 23rd next year. Here is a link to a lunar calculator I found. http://fourmilab.ch/earthview/pacalc.html

Hopefully, the weather will cooperate!
    There is beauty in simplicity.

1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50/1.2L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 100-400L II | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT-24EX | lots of stuff

Typical, again.
    Driving home tonight, about half an hour ago (8:45pm), both me and my gf look when we're coming up the last big hill to our place "that's a lot of light from up there"
    "oh crap, i hope it's not a bushfire"
    "no, it's autumn and was foggy this morning, must be a bonfire, you can see the smoke and everything"

nope, 'twas the moon in all its 3/4 yellow glory behind a cloud, just having come up and was massive, still.
    perfect money shot, but no camera.
    anyway, 5 minutes drive to home, run in, get the camera, hike the 400m back up the driveway to the main road, crap, forgot the memory card.
    back home, pile all the gear in the car, run in for a memory card, drive back up the driveway (man, i'm lazy sometimes), around the corner to a good shot.
    too late, moon's too high, too small already, clouds in front of the moon too much again. took some shots anyway, doubt they're any good.

so, we try again tomorrow night. even a gigantic half moon wouldn't look bad would it? (keep telling myself that...)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Typical, again.
    Driving home tonight, about half an hour ago (8:45pm), both me and my gf look when we're coming up the last big hill to our place "that's a lot of light from up there"
    "oh crap, i hope it's not a bushfire"
    "no, it's autumn and was foggy this morning, must be a bonfire, you can see the smoke and everything"

nope, 'twas the moon in all its 3/4 yellow glory behind a cloud, just having come up and was massive, still.
    perfect money shot, but no camera.
    anyway, 5 minutes drive to home, run in, get the camera, hike the 400m back up the driveway to the main road, crap, forgot the memory card.
    back home, pile all the gear in the car, run in for a memory card, drive back up the driveway (man, i'm lazy sometimes), around the corner to a good shot.
    too late, moon's too high, too small already, clouds in front of the moon too much again. took some shots anyway, doubt they're any good.

so, we try again tomorrow night. even a gigantic half moon wouldn't look bad would it? (keep telling myself that...)
    Minus the long driveway, that is almost always how my moon shots go. Great story and we'll look forward to your shots tomorrow!

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    I managed to get one, but its nothing amazing. It was really windy where I was so that meant faster shutter speeds, so higher iso and therefore a noisy picture.

Everglades National Park