Thread: Printing Release

Printing Release

Hello,

I am getting into photography as extra income and/or future business though still mostly a long time hobby. I haveprovided photography needs fornumerous sporting events in my area, have a website and business cards.Recently I did a session with a family which will include a cd.

1)Where can I download a general release, whereas the family can print futurepictures from the cdfor personal use?

2) Do I retain rights to my photographs as a professional and/or licensed photographer?

3) If so, what applicable law?

Thanks, Ralph

Re: Printing Release

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Hi Raplh,
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]I&rsquo;m an Aussie so I don&rsquo;t know if copyright law is the same over there but it is a pretty grey area in general.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] In a simple word cover your butt.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] There are two types of image licensing, right managed (RM) and royalty free (RF).<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] For RM, the client pays you each time the image is used, if they want more prints redone, post production work, etc.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] You retain the original digital image.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]You retain the copyright.<br style="mso-special-character: line-break;" />
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<br style="mso-special-character: line-break;" />
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]For RF images they can use the images how and where they want, this is when you give them the digital images on a disk, they don&rsquo;t need to come back to you for prints and can do with them what they want.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] You are basically giving them the rights of copyright.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Get your clients to sign a model release form, this can be a simple form to advise them that you may or may not use there images on your web site for promotional purposes, which will benefit you.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] If your clients are under 18 (<st1:country-region><st1lace>Australia</st1lace></st1:country-region>) maybe 21 over there, get the form signed by there parents.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Over here we have an Australian copyright Law web site which offers heaps of free advice and some templates forms for you to fine tune to your requirements.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Be wary what you shoot out doors as well, for instance you can&rsquo;t photography certain buildings and structures and put them on your web site, this is benefiting you, they can take legal action against you, big business' have no sense of humour.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Hope this has helped you a bit.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Scott

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]Hello Scott and thanks for the reply. I have comprised the following print/reproduction release form and appreciate any input by forum posters. I just need a release so qualifying customers can print pictures themselves yetretain copyrights myself.

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]Reproduction Release Form

<span style="font-size: small;"]To Whom It May Concern:

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]I, <span style="color: #0000ff;"]--<span style="color: #0000ff;"]my name-- , as photographer and legal copyright author, owner and doing business as <span style="color: #0000ff;"]--my-website-- do hereby grant __________________________ of ___________________________ rights to copy, print or reproduce photos as described;

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Number of photos ___________, consisting of miscellaneous images, as contained on/within _________________________ provided by me. Permission to reprint or reproduce in any fashion is unlimited for customer&rsquo;s personal usage. No reproductions of photos shall be made for commercial purposes, advertising, resale or contest entry, without prior written consent from <span style="color: #0000ff;"]--my-name-- of which copyrights remain.

<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]A copy of this document shall be considered adequate proof of release by the printer. Confirmation of such can be verified at <span style="color: #0000ff;"]--my-website-- or by contacting me at any time if necessary. Customer signature required to validate.

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Photographer/Owner: <span style="color: #0000ff;"]--my name<span style="color: #0000ff;"] -- Today&rsquo;s Date:___________________

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Signature: ____________________________

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Phone: <span style="color: #0000ff;"]xxxxxxxxx
    <span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Fax: <span style="color: #0000ff;"]xxxxxxxxx
    <span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]We<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]bsite: <span style="color: #0000ff;"]xxxxxxxxx
    <span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Email: <span style="color: #0000ff;"]xxxxxxxxx

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Release Number: _____________________

<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]Session Date: _____________________

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Customer Signature: _______________________________

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks pretty good Ralph, maybe you could include the image numbers you have given to the client. But yes in general keep it simple.