Thread: Please, please, please help me decide between these lenses !!!!!!

Please, please, please help me decide between these lenses !!!!!!

Hi all,

Please help! Basically I am a complete ignoramous when it comes to photography. My boyfriend on the other hand, loves it, and owns a canon 400d SLR. It is his birthday next week and I am in complete turmoil as to which lens I should buy him (or even if a flash would be more useful?) I have somewhat narrowed down my search (due to monetry reasons- can't afford more than 200 quid as I'm a student) and was wondering if any one can help.Are any of these any good (see below) ? And if so which would be better for a budding photographer ??? I know u r supposed to be specific about which type of photography it will be, but he sort of does a bit of everything, the only lens he has i think is one which focuses on one bit and makes the rest blurry (again sorry for appaling ignorance) Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much for your time, ava xxx
    <h1>Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-f5.6</h1>
    <h1>Canon EF 28mm f/2.8</h1>
    <h1>Sigma 70-300mm F:4-5.6 APO DG Macro Canon Fit</h1>

Re: Please, please, please help me decide between these lenses !!!!!!

Hello Ava:

If he is already using a 400, he may already have the 18-55 lens which would have been part of the kit if he purchased it that way. So you don't want to double up what he's got already.

The 28mm lens is a single focal length lens, i.e. doesn't zoom and it may not be very versatile to use.

The Sigma telephoto zoom would probably be more useful if he doesn't have anything like that already.

I would also recommend the Sigma lens. I used to own it and was very happy with it. It is a nice, multi-purpose lens and doesn't cost much money!

You first need to know (and mention here) what he already has (it should be marked on his lens)

Then you need to tell us what he photographs.

Then we will tell you lenses 200 and less are usually not very good lenses and primes (non zoom lenses) are better at that pricepoint than zooms.

But back to the first two points of info we need please:

1. What does the man have?

2. What is his main subject matter?

Thanks so much for the help guys, really useful, I think that the Sigma is perhaps best option, Madison thank u very much for your help, I do realise how terribly vague I am being, but the problem is the last time that I saw I hadn't decided to get him a lens, so didnt occur to me to check, now I probably won't see him (or his camera) untill his birthday, so am really obliged to make a quick decision otherwise it might not arrive in time for next week! Thanks again everybody xxx

I know you are wanting to hand him a physical gift. But with camera equipment and your limited knowledge of what he has, you may be safer giving a gift certificate and letting him use that toward what he really needs for his camera. Buying jewelry for my wife is my own personal example of this situation. I've learned two things across many years of marriage to this lady. 1) Jewelry is always a safe bet as a gift and 2) never pick it out myself! []

Rick

Rick; if u ever have any problems choosing id be happy to help, easy way is stick to Tiffanys, no matter how small the gift ! []

[][]You could be onto something there! I need to go to New York where I could shop live at Tiffanys. I'm old enough to have seen "Breakfast at Tiffany's" when it was a current movie release and have always loved that film.

All the best in your quest.

Rick

I saw that movie via NetFlix.

I couldn't stand it enough to pay attention. I can't even remember what happened. I just remember that I saw it. [:P]