Thread: hot shoe contacts

hot shoe contacts

why are there not any covers for these to keep moisture dirt and such off them when they are not holding a flash head ??

Re: hot shoe contacts

Apparently there are.

hxxp://www.colescameras.com/canon.htm (scroll down or do a text search for 'shoe' if you want)

Or here:

hxxp://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=25854577 (check out the pictures in the first thread)

Mark depending on your camera if you use a hot shoe cover you wont be able to use your on board flash if the camera has one as there is a pin that is pressed down by the auxilary flash that disables the on board flash.

I just checked out the hotshoe cover on dpreview, and I wonder why I havent thought of getting a contact cover before. Im going to order them as soon as possible. Its deffinitly worth checking out.

And as for the on board flash, I think I've used it twice, once when I first got the camera, and a second time when I was showing someone what it was. But the on board flash is still better then missing a shot entirelyso it still has its place.

thanks

joel

It is possible that water could get caught under the hot shoe cover and manage to get into the camera. I really don't know, but here is a quote about battery grips catching water and possibly killing cameras from The Luminous Landscape. (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...9-worked.shtml)

"The largest group of failures through were among the Canon 5D MKIIs. Of
    the 26 samples of this camera onboard, one quarter (six) failed at one time
    or another, and while three recovered, the other three never did. In all
    cases it appeared to be water or humidity damage. Of particular concern were
    two cameras which stopped working while completely protected within Kata
    rain covers during a light rain ashore. They came back to life the following
    day though and were mostly fine for the rest of the trip, but one died permenently
    just before the end of our voyage.

Several people noted that when returning to the ship after working in light
    rain 5D MKIIs with vertical battery grips tended to collect water in between
    the grip and the base – something that may have been the cause of some
    of the failures."

Just an idea.

--Johan

Johan: you do realise this is from an expedition with gruesome weather conditions not only including rain but also very low sub zero temperatures as well? I don't think this applies to normal users. At all.

thank you all for the info

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Madison

Johan: you do realise this is from an expedition with gruesome weather conditions not only including rain but also very low sub zero temperatures as well? I don't think this applies to normal users. At all.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yes, I do. I realize that it is not typical photographic conditions, and I'm sorry if I offended you. I wanted to toss it out there as a possibility, albeit very slight. :-)

--Johan