Thread: 24-105 Refurb or get a new one?

24-105 Refurb or get a new one?

The rear element is clearly non centered, the front element has some very small spots (I bought on ebay and got "stuck")

The wide side seems to be decent but at 105 the image in the center is clearly soft.

Any experience on what a tear down/refurb from canon is likely to cost?

Thanks
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Have you called Canon to ask what their typical charge would be?

800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666)

Hey Mike. I am having issues with a lens I bought on ebay right now as well. If it isn't as advertised, contact their resolution center. This is my first time having to use the resolution center. It is actually my first time trying to return something I bought on ebay. But it is a potential recourse if the lens isn't as advertised.

I'm a firm believer that the 24-105 is valued at $600, since that's the typical price premium on kits that include it. You should be able to get them new-in-box for $599 from many folks who bought the kit and want to unload their lens unused. I'd suspect Canon's fee for clean/check/simple repair to be around $225 (we paid $216 for a simple repair on our 16-35/2.8II about three years ago). I'd keep all of that in mind as you make your choices.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    I'm a firm believer that the 24-105 is valued at $600, since that's the typical price premium on kits that include it. You should be able to get them new-in-box for $599 from many folks who bought the kit and want to unload their lens unused. I'd suspect Canon's fee for clean/check/simple repair to be around $225 (we paid $216 for a simple repair on our 16-35/2.8II about three years ago). I'd keep all of that in mind as you make your choices.
    plus shipping to/from - basically gets north $250 perhaps even closing in on $300. Which might be worth it for a sort of back up/ knock around type lens. Was looking at the Sigma, but it doesn't appear to be a net better performer, even the new 24-70 f4 is more expensive and doesn't sound like it steps up much except in the macro mode, and I like the reach of the 105.

4x zoom provides quite a reach, so perhaps the compromise of IQ at the long end is a physics issue.

Ponder, ponder, ponder. Meanwhile I will be shipping the lens to Canon shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    The rear element is clearly non centered, the front element has some very small spots (I bought on ebay and got "stuck")

The wide side seems to be decent but at 105 the image in the center is clearly soft.

Any experience on what a tear down/refurb from canon is likely to cost?

Thanks
    I know this is off what your question is, but did you buy that through one of the white box promotions of the specials on ebay or did you win a bidding war on a used one? I have been thinking about jumping on one of the white box specials that are posted from time to time and am curious which route you took to get this one. I have seen them listed as white box on Amazon for around the $650 also.

Regarding your question, if you just won it in the bids you might be able to go through the resolutions center of Ebay as suggested. Otherwise, your probably going to have to fork over some cash to Canon to fix it. Hopefully the former is your best course of action and you either get your money back or get that fixed for little or no cost to you. Good Luck!

Mike....I just purchased (Jan) the refurbished 24-105 from Adorama for $774....this is my 2nd refurb purchase thru Adorama and I'm a completely satisfied customer.
    I'm now waiting patiently for a refurbed 5DMKlll to appear.....
    With Adorama, if it's a Canon refurb you get the 1yr warranty, if it isn't, you get 90 days for return.
    Also, Adorama prices are lower than Canon USA refurbs, as well as not charging tax (Canon USA does charge for MA), another significant savings.
    Concerning tear down/refurb....I had an issue w/my 100-400 telescoping tightening ring....$325 +/-, but it came back spotless and they even repainted the 100 to 400 metering numbers on the barrel. I guess what I'm saying here is; it wasn't cheap, but it was done right and they went, IMO, above and beyond.
    Good Luck
    Bill

I bought a clearly used old lens that wasn't so plainly explained in the description. I thought about sending back, complaining, etc but it was clear that it would have been a difficult process as the description was so scant. Fortunately, no one on TDP, etc I chosen to move forward vs. look back - I have learned

I refuse to purchase used unless it is from Adorama or B&H. They give an accurate rating of the product before purchase and very good return policies, I have purchased most my lenses this way and my 7D was refurbished. There are some good deals on the 24-105L at the moment -> Rebate/new, refurbished, and used.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    --------------
    Bill