Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prime lens

prime lens

ok just getting into primes what would you say is a must have prime and which is the all time favorite prime or are they the same? Just bought the 85lmk2 and it rocks difficult learning curve but fun to say the least learning how to handle this chunk of glass is fun ..

Quote Originally Posted by ROGERWILCO357 View Post
    ok just getting into primes what would you say is a must have prime and which is the all time favorite prime or are they the same? Just bought the 85lmk2 and it rocks difficult learning curve but fun to say the least learning how to handle this chunk of glass is fun ..
    You know there is going to be no consistency with the answers you get because everyone shoots differently.

Must have prime? I must have all of them that have an L in the name and are made by Canon. "Must Have" really depends on what you are shooting.

No, not all primes are the same. I will say this, if I only owned one lens it would be my 500mm, but please do not make me choose.

If you wouldn't have gotten the 85mm already, I would have said the newer 100mm macro lens which also doubles for a decent portrait lens.

Well

Not really it doesn't matter what i shoot I am asking what you consider the must have prime or at least your favorite?

Must have for me.. my 100mm macro 2.8L. I use that for portraits more so than macro. Although.. I have been lusting for the 85L ever since I rented it.

So it goes.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by ROGERWILCO357 View Post
    Not really it doesn't matter what i shoot I am asking what you consider the must have prime or at least your favorite?
    Lets rearrange my response then, instead of saying "Must Have" really depends on what you are shooting." Ill say "Must Have" really depends on what anyone is shooting."

But I suppose if "Must Have" is really a key word, lets look at it like this. You can shoot landscape with about any lens. You can shoot wildlife and birds with a large array of zooms. Portraits can be done with zooms. Now Macro, lets say you want to do some really close 5x magnification, then ....this is a "Must Have" lens as there none other like it that can do the job. I think this lens when it comes to doing a specialty item takes it to the farthest extreme.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

I will still keep my 500mm before all other lenses, is it a "Must Have"? From the time I realized I wanted it until I actually owned one took 29 years, but it wasn't a "Must Have" so I guess it is a favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    Must have for me.. my 100mm macro 2.8L. I use that for portraits more so than macro. Although.. I have been lusting for the 85L ever since I rented it.

So it goes.
    I pre ordered my 100mm macro F/2.8L IS the day it was announced. I have to say it is an awesome lens.

I completely understand where you are coming from, the only thing that has kept me from buying the 85 mm F1.2L is that I own the 100mm. I have picked up the 85mm several times at the local shop and was a breath away from buying it, then I think do I really need it? Owning the 100mm always stopped me.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I pre ordered my 100mm macro F/2.8L IS the day it was announced. I have to say it is an awesome lens.

I completely understand where you are coming from, the only thing that has kept me from buying the 85 mm F1.2L is that I own the 100mm. I have picked up the 85mm several times at the local shop and was a breath away from buying it, then I think do I really need it? Owning the 100mm always stopped me.
    The IS is incredible, don't you think? I find myself handholding macro the more I shoot with it.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    The IS is incredible, don't you think? I find myself handholding macro the more I shoot with it.
    It is incredible. I already owned the 180mm L macro when I ordered the 100mm. For the most part if I am doing macro with a tripod I am using the 180mm, and the 100mm is great for chasing fast insects hand held. It really opens up allot of macro opportunities that you would have a problem doing if you had to use a tripod.

50mm f1.4 is a great inexpensive way to start with a fast prime
    I shoot prime for speed and bokeh
    85 1.8 is a great lens and also not very expensive

So i would start with those (some of this depends if you are shooting full frame)

Then when are ready for an investment add the 24 1.4 L will let you get a wide angle close up

Then the 135 f2 will complete the package for a very sharp low light long lens

If you have those four in that order you will be satisfied

Personally the 80 1.2 is a great lens but is very very low to focus
    Dont need a 35
    And 17 is not in my bag

Hope this helps
    Email me if you have more specific questions on any of these

I shoot weddings primarily