Thread: UDMA or not UDMA for a 40D or 50D?

UDMA or not UDMA for a 40D or 50D?

I was about to buy some SanDisk Extreme III 8GB CF cards, but the ones I went in for are apparently discontinued. The new SanDisk Extreme 8GB cards are UDMA-5 compliant, but does that mean they won't work in a 40D or a <span style="text-decoration: line-through;"]50D, since those bodies aren't UDMA, or does it just mean they won't reach their maximum speed potential?

Also, it occurred to me that SanDisk has rebates at times, and I wondered if that may be happening again soon. Last time, buying multiples just about gave you a free card, and I am looking at getting several.

EDIT: Apparently the 50D is UDMA compliant. So the question is more for the 40D at the moment.

Re: UDMA or not UDMA for a 40D or 50D?

I think there may be a little benefit for the 40D not sure though. If you have a UDMA card reader it will make a difference when you transfer files. If you have a Mac and firewire 800 the Lexar FW800 UDMA card reader is ridiculously fast.

I'm not so worried about benefits, I just want to make sure I don't buy a card which is incompatible with my camera. Does the 40D work at all with UDMA cards? That's the question. If so, I don't care if they are "all they can be" for now, if the price is right.

Also, the rebates. Are they soon, like February or March? If not, I may jump in now.

I just put my UDMA card in my 40D and shot off a few shots and transferred them. Everything seemed to be fine. My card is a 300X UDMA whatever version that would be.

Awesome! Thanks for the field report. Now, about those rebates.... []

Not sure about the rebates.

I always use UDMA flash cards. They are compatible with all camerasthat use CF.

They do not save files faster on a 40D, but really downlooad to my PS faster using a UDMA firewire reader. I haveboth lexar and a sandisk firewire 800 readers, they are equally fast. I did have to purchase firewire 800 cards for my pc's.

Newer cameras are UDMA enabled, so images write faster as well.