Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Room for improvement...

Room for improvement...

These shots were taken in a small room with the window and a 580 flash. Any comments/criticism/suggestions/tips are welcomed if it helps me make better photos Some of my work can also be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drandy_xv19/ (yep, from Romania :[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.74/IMG_5F00_5059_5F00_resize.jpg[/img])

Re: Room for improvement...

I really like this one. The lighting is just about perfect in my opinion. Looks like window light coming in from the left (a little behind). Did you bounce your flash or do some negative flash exposure compensation? Either way the result is quite good.

I like the composition of the lady and the feather.

I like the light and shallow DOF

I find the toy in thebackground distracting: its there, its yellow andleans tothe right.

Overall, not too shabby []

Nice shot! The person looks natural and the lighting is good.

I'm just thinking if the contrast between highlight and dark areas could be better. the small yellow lion could be detractive. I personally like bold contrast (usuallyuse 2 1/2 contractfilter whenenlarging B&W negatives on this kind of shots). Inyour case I would have left the background clean, because it does not contribute to theperson on the picture. You can also try B&W on this shot (PS also works), as i notice there isn't too much color.

Quote Originally Posted by piiooo

I find the toy in thebackground distracting: its there, its yellow andleans tothe right.

I agree. Not only is it distracting but the thing it sits on is distracting as well as it exposes the tilted shot. The shot would have been better without that stuff in the background, from a composition standpoint.

I also think the model herself looks to artificial 'look at me I am watching a feather'. It feels unnatural to me. I don't mind directed shots that are not real events but this borders it and I don't like it. Too 'artificial' (if you're going artificial think bigger for a more dramatic or artistic effect).

(two other things:

1. I am struggling to find the appropriate words to express my 'critique' because I am not English and the words above are harsher than the ones in Dutch.

2. I mean this in the best possible way, and my opinion is subjective so please do not be offended because that is not my intention. Just so that I am clear about that. Because I write in another language I have a tendency to be misinterpreted or to come across stronger than I mean to.

[H]

Yeah, you are right. The decor is horrible, because it is my room Here are some more pics from that "theme"...

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.74/IMG_5F00_4992_5F00_resize.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.74/IMG_5F00_5037_5F00_resize.jpg[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.74/IMG_5F00_5032_5F00_resize.jpg[/img]

Oh my.

Does she know that you're sharing these [A]

Yeah But that's not the point

Quote Originally Posted by drandy

Yeah But that's not the point
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Oh, yes...

Okay, two things...

Why do you have a yellow lion in YOUR room. I've got a mustard yellow in mine, but that's not my question...

Secondly, I think the lighting is better from the angle you chose for the second set. Fills out her features better....

Also, what kind of speakers are in the background? I first thought Thiel, but then I got a feeling that they resembled an old pair of New England Audio Research speakers a friend had...

Give your model a high five. Liked the first of the second set best.

Come to think of it, last one is close. More pensive. Hard to decide between "You're in trouble" and "I'm thinking about whether you're in trouble "

[]