Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 7D or 35L f1.4

Canon 7D or 35L f1.4

I like to first of all thank all of you for the knowledge I have gained reading this forum. I maybe a silent forum member, but enjoy returning everyday to see what I may learn.

Currentlywe own the following:

30D

Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS

Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS I

Speedlite 580EX

My wife isgoingto let me splurge for XMAS and feels an investment to"freeze time"tocapture our2yr daugther is always worth it. We are also expecting another child in June. My dilemna is whether to upgrade the 30D to a 7D or maybe get a 35L prime. From what I have heard about the 7D and minimal time renting it, it would be a substantial upgrade in camera body, but in the back of my mind "Good Glass Will Last". We love the pictures from both lenses and feel the camera is adequate, but wonder whether the higher ISO, AF system, fps and HD video will be helpful not just for the immediate future, but also when our future baby starts to run and maybe play sports. The 30D & 70-200 has done wonders with our first child at parks and at the beach.

I've set my lens to 35 and enjoy the perspective and have seen wonderful pictures from the 35L. With the current lens, the 2.8 and flash have been useful with the first child, but wondering whether the f/1.4 and L glass will make it more enjoyable. Also considered, the 35 f.2 but not sure if I would see a tremendous difference from the 17-55 at f2.8.

Family pictures will always be important, but no value can be placed on capturing the kids in their element. With thegrowth and changes we've experienced with the first child, we can't wait to meet our second. With a limited budget and not seeing ourselves splurging $1700 again on camera equipment in the near future, we wanted to see what others have to say and maybe other parents.

7D or 35L or maybe another option???

Re: Canon 7D or 35L f1.4

I must admit--spontaneous video with an SLR (even the 7D) can be very tricky. If you

My suggestion would be to start all over and get the older Canon 5D MKi and the 35mm 1.4 L if possible! the 5D can be found on ebay still at very decent prices, and it is well worth it in my opinion!

This is about a 50/50 question with me.

But...try this logic.

With the 7D you get to us it on your other two fine lenses

If you get the lens you are using it on just the one camera.

If 33% of your pictures came out of each lens you would get the most improvement from getting the camera

The 35mm F1.4 is an awesome lens though. I would perfer it with a FF rather than a crop body though.

Tough choice...good luck

Alan

Of the two choices, I would go with the 7D, hands down. The 35 L is a great lens, but you'll already get 35 mm on your other lens, and the f/1.4 on the 35 won't be nearly as sharp as at f/2.8, so the lens you currently own will suit you just fine.

Buy the 7D.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty

We are also expecting another child in June.

Well I just want to say CONGRATS!! []

i'd get the 7d, the body might be a little old, and Alan already said you have the focal length covered.

I vote for the 7D. I think you'll get about 2 stops of useable ISO improvement over the 30D, which is equivalent to the 2-stops of f/1.4 vs. f/2.8. No, you won't get the DoF benefit of f/1.4, and the 35L is an excellent lens. But overall, I think you'll see more benefit from the 7D. I don't know how good the AF is on a 30D, but one of the reasons I upgraded to a 7D from a T1i was that the AI Servo AF on the Rebel had trouble keeping up with my toddler once she started running around.

As others have said, you already have two excellent lenses!

Good luck with your decision!

--John

Hi Rusty.

You have a nice setup. If it were me, I would go with the 7D. The 17-55 f/2.8 IS and the 70-200 are excellent lenses. Getting the 35mm would be great and would give you great photos but as Bryan puts it in his review of the 7D (I'm paraphrasing), "...the 7D is best 1.6x DSLR Canon has made to date".

buuut.....

but in the back of my mind "Good Glass Will Last".

very true

We love the pictures from both lenses and feel the camera is adequate

In the end, you have to go with your gut.

I've set my lens to 35 and enjoy the perspective

Keep in mind that the 35L will actually be ~53mm on your 30D so try shooting for a while on your 17-55mm at full zoom and see what you think.

Tough decision, good luck..

Damian

Quote Originally Posted by DLS

I've set my lens to 35 and enjoy the perspective

Keep in mind that the 35L will actually be ~53mm on your 30D so try shooting for a while on your 17-55mm at full zoom and see what you think.

That is incorrect. The 35L on a full frame would be like a 56mm lens on a crop sensor camera. However, when you're comparing the same focal length on the same crop sensor camera, they have (nearly) identical views. A 35mm f/1.4 L on a crop sensor will have the same field of view as the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS at 35mm on the same camera.