Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resource for used equipment prices?

Resource for used equipment prices?

Hi all,

My first post, but I have been reading The-Digital-Picture for years. I just graduated from college and received a 5D Mk II from my parents! I am now planning to sell my 30D and my EF-S lens to purchase new lenses to make my outfit completely Full-Frame compatible.

I have a good idea of how much to sell my EF-S 10-22mm for based on prices I have seen in this forum and in the Fred Miranda forums and on ebay, but I am having a hard time determining a price for my 30D. It is basically flawless with approx. 10K shutter activations. The only sign of wear it shows is wear on the hot shoe, which I am pretty sure these cameras get just from looking at them the wrong way.

Is there a Kelly Blue Book of used photography equipment? I have seen some prices on Ebay, but most of those cameras are in sadder condition than mine. Should I just price it higher than what I have seen? Does anyone still want to buy this camera now that there is a 40D and 50D?

Thanks,

Tucker

Re: Resource for used equipment prices?

For anyone interested my 30D and EF-S 10-22mm USM should be available in the forums shortly, after I figure out how to price them.

I think you should take the original price of the lens, subtract $50-200 for use and wear on the lens, and then make it $70 cheaper for a buyer's incentive. So, if I was to sell my 70-200 f/4 IS (which will never happen) It would be like this:

Original Price - $1130.

-$50 b/c it's a used lens (1 month, but used nevertheless)

-$70 buyer's incentive

So $1010. I wouldn't be taking a huge wash and it'd be a fair price and would sell quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker
    Is there a Kelly Blue Book of used photography equipment?

Maybe there is. Not that I know of, though.

I suggest you sell your 10-22 for $585 - $630. Enough so that a buyer will notice that they are getting a substantially better deal. The 30d, I'm not sure, maybe someone else can help you w/ that.

hope that helped

brendan

The best thing I know of to find out fairly reasonable prices for used gear is KEH.com. They have different prices based on the condition of the item, but at least it'll get you in the ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

The best thing I know of to find out fairly reasonable prices for used gear is [url="http://www.keh.com]KEH.com[/url]. They have different prices based on the condition of the item, but at least it'll get you in the ballpark.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I agree.

Don't just look at the price they are selling gear for. Click on sell your equipement and see what they are buying equipement for. Gives you a good idea on price.

Mark
    Mark

Thanks for all the ideas. The KEH pricing really helped. I think I have pretty good ballpark now.

I'll put some photos together and get them up for sale soon.

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

Don't just look at the price they are selling gear for. Click on sell your equipement and see what they are buying equipement for. Gives you a good idea on price.

Mark, have you tried that? Just for kicks, I went through the sell your gear process for an EF 135mm f/2L (not the EF-S 10-22mm, since they don't currently have one for sale). The quoted price to sell a 135L in EX+ condition to KEH was $465. That is an absolutely rotten idea on price - way, way undervalued. KEH sells that lens in that condition for $919 (nice markup for them!). They usually sell for $800-900, give or take, on FM. So, KEH's selling price is a lot closer to a good idea on price than their buying price!

Even though KEH is a used camera gear dealer, their pricing structure seems more like a new car dealership - generally reliable, good customer service, fair prices but a little high when you buy a used item from them, really high prices when you buy a new item from them, and they give you a raw deal when you sell them a used item. Unlike car dealerships, I don't think they do trade-ins (I could be wrong), which is the only way to get a better price when you sell the dealership your used vehicle.

Just my 2&cent;.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker

I'll put some photos together and get them up for sale soon.

One more suggestion, depending on how urgently you want to sell the 10-22mm lens. Currently, there's a Canon instant rebate on that lens (among others), which reduces the price of a new copy of the 10-22mm by $50. When rebates are available, prices on used lenses tend to drop accordingly, or it's less likely to sell since the incentive compared to a new lens is less. The current rebates end July 10th.

--John

I usually check the actual selling price of items on ebay. KEH is OK as well. Looking at asking prices is not, however, the same as seeing actual selling prices like you get on ebay when looking at completed auctions. Just because a lens listed for $1000 on FM sold, does not tell you what it actually sold for.

High end lenses can actually appreciate in value, so I would not reduce the price by any arbitrary formula. Camera bodies are a different story. They have really taken a big hit in value. KEH may be the best price source for used bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

Mark, have you tried that? Just for kicks, I went through the sell your gear process for an EF 135mm f/2L (not the EF-S 10-22mm, since they don't currently have one for sale). The quoted price to sell a 135L in EX+ condition to KEH was $465. That is an absolutely rotten idea on price - way, way undervalued. KEH sells that lens in that condition for $919 (nice markup for them!). They usually sell for $800-900, give or take, on FM. So, KEH's selling price is a lot closer to a good idea on price than their buying price!

Even though KEH is a used camera gear dealer, their pricing structure seems more like a new car dealership - generally reliable, good customer service, fair prices but a little high when you buy a used item from them, really high prices when you buy a new item from them, and they give you a raw deal when you sell them a used item. Unlike car dealerships, I don't think they do trade-ins (I could be wrong), which is the only way to get a better price when you sell the dealership your used vehicle.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I agree when it comes to gear that is still on the market. I would prefer to buy new over used. I also agree when it comes to pricing my gear for sale. Their quotes are much lower than I think my gear is worth but they do have to make money on the items they buy. For equipment that is out of production I prefer buying from them for peace of mind(warranty, return policy, etc..) over taking my chances on e-bay.

Mark
    Mark