Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM sample shots

Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM sample shots

The flickr pool is up, with a few sample images. Looks sharp, and bokeh is nice.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/2014933@N22/pool/

ephotozine has a few shots up too with a pre-production lens.
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon-ef-40mm-f-2-8-stm-lens-review-19464

I would like to know if the color and contrast in the flickr ones are real.

I took this morning, 7D, 1/40s, iso400 (it was a grey pre-dawn shot). DPP raw->jpg in standard style, no colour enhancements or ALO, default NR.

(i'm going to take better samples tonight)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

As promised, here's some Shorty Forty sample shots I took during a quick walk at lunch time today (except the first one, out of the car window on the way to work)
    All 7D, Standard Picture Style, 0 Saturation, DPP Batch raw->jpg. No filters or CPL or anything. Some at f/2.8, some 4, some 5.6.
    All are Clicky-Linky for Pixel-Peepy.

Just to show some colour.

Sun in the frame, no flare.

Sun just out of the top left of frame, still no flare.

For different colours, sun at my back.

Sun half obscured, still no flare. Bit of a 'sunstar'.

Yes, these are the exact colours of the truck. Standard Picture Style, 0 Saturation, DPP Batch raw->jpg. No filters or CPL or anything. Sun just to my right.

And Jimbo's Big Breakfast for some Background Blur.
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 06-20-2012 at 11:06 AM.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

This looks like a very well performing lens!

Thank you Dr Croubie. I wonder haw many people won't consider this fine lens just because it's too cheap.

My first lens was a Konica Hexanon 40 mm f/1.8 (yes, I'm so old), an outstanding lens. It was the same size and weight of this, also had six elements.
    Last edited by Agilulfo; 06-20-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agilulfo View Post
    Thank you Dr Croubie. I wonder haw many people won't consider this fine lens just because it's too cheap.
    Har, you might be right about this one ;-)

I'm not considering it because it's a bit slow for a prime, doesn't seem to have real FTM, and isn't half a macro (that goes to 1:2) so it's hard to see why I would use this instead of my 35L and 50II, no feature that sticks out as being useful for something. Perhaps once the 50II falls apart, although that'll be a long time given how I handle my gear...

I was sort of considering one simply for the small size - gripped body/1D X with this lens would fit in my Lowepro Utility Bag 100 AW, not menaingfully thicker than the camera body, and the whole thing would fit in my computer satchel. That means I could take a dSLR on an overnight trip whereas I wouldn't be able to take one with a standard lens. The cheap doesn't bother me, as long as the IQ is good - and it seems to be, both the MTF chart and more importantly the images so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Agilulfo View Post
    Actually, I was wondering how many people would buy this anyway because it's so cheap. It's definitely going to impact sales of the 50/1.8 as the 'my first cheap-ass prime' imho.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Actually, I was wondering how many people would buy this anyway because it's so cheap.
    I definitely don't need it. I have a general purpose zoom that covers 40mm @ f/2.8, and I have a prime that's reasonably close (50mm f/1.4). Even being well aware of that, I still might pick one up just for the heck of it.