Thread: Request for help to determine if 24-70mm f/2.8 L has excessive corner softness

Request for help to determine if 24-70mm f/2.8 L has excessive corner softness

Virtual greetings.

This is my first post to this forum.

I'm not a professional photog, but I do appreciate good visual quality. As such, I recently purchased a 5D mkII and 24-70mm f/2.8 L lens.

I took some RAW2 photos using a tripod and timer release of a brick wall wide open at various focal lengths and upon looking at the images, some look rather soft in the corners, but because I have no other similar lens to compare with mine, I don't know if my particular copy is outside of spec or not, and I was hoping that some kind person could have a look at a few of the 100% corner crops who is familiar with what this lens should be like and advise me accordingly.

Thanks in advance for any advice regarding the above.

Ricardo

Re: Request for help to determine if 24-70mm f/2.8 L has excessive corner softness

All the lens reviews on this site also include 100% crops from ISO charts, showing the center, middle, and corner of the frame.

The 24-70 ISO chart, is shot only with the 1DsIII, but as that'salso a full frame camera with a similar number of megapixels, it should make for a decent comparison. Using this tool you can check the expected sharpness and contrast at each focal length and f value.

edit: You can also check camera and lens combos at pixel-peeper.com, the link I've included is limiting it to 5DmkII, 24-70L, f/2.8 only. There are 108 images matching that.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L