Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: f/4.0 wedding lenses

f/4.0 wedding lenses

Hi, Im very interested wedding photography business, but I have the f/4.0 70-200 mm lens. How can I do to make this lens work well and faster during the wedding, using two or more flash units? thanks for the help

Re: f/4.0 wedding lenses

Well, I suppose you COULD use a slave flash, but it's not very convenient because you'd have to move it for basically every single picture. If you were taking pictures of the same thing, from the same position it'd work, but at a wedding you want all angles, and you don't have time to be messing around with multiple flashes. You need to get where you need to be to get the shot, before it's over and gone.

Are you worried about shooting inside the church? I did a wedding last week. It was a small church, and my 580ex II flash, bounced off the ceiling, lit pretty much the whole area I needed. I don't think multiple flash units, is really an option, unless you want to have everyone positioned at the same place, with the same angle. Kind of boring really.

Keep in mind, there's not a lot of action at a wedding....at least, not usually inside the church....so you might be able to get away with some shutter speeds of 1/60 when you're zoomed in. If you have IS definitely. If not, maybe if you have a good hand.

The only real way to speed things up, is to crank up the ISO! What camera do you have?

It's not the answer to your question, but most wedding photographers carry more than one lens in their pocket.

My advice? Get a relatively cheap prime lens and learn how to shoot with that in low light conditions.

Look at the work of somebody like Jeff Ascough. Primes only, high iso, and excellent NO FLASH results. And no speed issues while shooting.

If this is a business, the expense of buying a prime will pay itself back within one wedding easy.

(That said, I could even add that using flash inside churches and during teh ceremonies and speeches is very very very distracting, something you will see in your pictures because behaviour/awareness will change of the people around you where as shooting low light existing ligt with a prime will mean you are more anonymous and able to capture better emotions).

But I digress.

I shot low light backstage stuff in an old factory with hardly any windows in it at F4 a while ago and at 3200 iso it was no problem.

I actually had a question pretty close to this one. I have a friend who's sister works with Vue Photographyin Panama City Florida. I emailed her asking tips about wedding photography, strobes, and basic tips. She wrote back saying that they only use strobes during the reception. They set the strobes (Alien Bees) up ahead of time for general purpose lighting (dance floor and bounced off the ceiling).During the ceremony and getting ready shots, they use a 580EX if they need to.

Based on what she said, I would see if you can get away with just one flash until the reception. For getting ready shots, You could use a friend or assistant as a voice activated lightstand, and for the ceremony, I second Madison's suggestion about using available light.

Take my comments with a grain of salt though, I've never shot a wedding. (Hoping to second shoot a friend's big day soon with a 70-200 f/4L and a Vivitar 285HV though).

Hope I did something other than ramble!

-Rodger

I shoot weedings with a 5D, 24-105mm f/4 L and a 580EX mounted on a flash bracket with a Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce. I use this set up for everything wedding and reception with the exception of the cerimony itself. I shoot the bride and father comming down the isle with flash. After the father gives her away I switch to available light, hand held @ ISO 800 or 1600. If the church is too dark I use my tripod like a mono-pod. Most of these are at 105mm. I am very pleased with the results. When I have tried to carry other lenses and switch things happen so fast I miss shots because I am switching lenses.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb
    When I have tried to carry other lenses and switch things happen so fast I miss shots because I am switching lenses.

This is why most wedding photographers shoot with two bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison

This is why most wedding photographers shoot with two bodies.

Two bodies is great.

Last time I used a 70-200 f/2.8 IS and an 85 f/1.2, available light only. I actually lugged 35 lbs. of flash equipment and case through the airport, only to decide to do without it when I was told about the conditions. I actually wish i used the flash for some of the "we're taking the pictures now" stuff, but would have had some friends just hold the flashes/umbrellas...

I did regret, though, not having wide angle options available. Next time, probably 135 f/2 and 35 f/1.4, and see how that goes. Learning process

Yes

I use two bodies. The other is usually in the balcony. In this case it would be great to have a third body but will have to wait till I can afford it. The set up I use now works great for me and I have enough business I am turning away customers.

Mark
    Mark

I have a Canon Rebel Xti and Canon 50 D.

Ok but if you use 2 bodies, you have flash in both of them?