Thread: Newbie with a 50D + lens questions....

Newbie with a 50D + lens questions....

<p class="MsoNormal"]<span><span>Newbie here
    with some newbie type questions and looking for some straight forward helpful
    info please people &hellip;<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span><span>I&rsquo;ve just
    bought myself a 50D with kit lense 28-135mm and am enjoying learning/playing
    with the camera <span><span><span>J<span><span><o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span><span>From playing
    with the 28-135mm I have sort of figured out that I would also like to be able
    to get wider angle shots, from doing some reading it seems Canons 10-22mm is
    the type of lens that would enable me to get great wide angle shots and I don&rsquo;t
    think it will be a problem missing any overlap as I can shuffle my feet &hellip; is
    this a good choice? Any others I should consider?<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span><span>I&rsquo;ve heard a
    lot of talk about getting the cheap 50mm f1.8 &hellip; from what I understand I have
    this length covered on the 28-135mm but with the 50mm f1.8 I would benefit from
    the wider aperture and therefore get better photos in low light/indoors etc, so
    potentially for the indoor/family type shots I&rsquo;d get better photos for the
    little extra money &hellip;. Is my thinking correct?<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span><span>At the moment I&rsquo;m
    not into shooting anything longer so no need for a longer telephoto &hellip; if I were
    to look for one, what ones would you recommend to complement the above set of
    lens?<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span><span>Thanks all in
    advance for any helpful advice.<o></o>

Re: Newbie with a 50D + lens questions....

Hi, from one newbie to another....

Just this year it bit me really hard so I ended up buying 3 lenses[]

I do have 10-22mm and it is a lot of fun as I just started taking lost of landscape pictures, but I am still learning. I hope this lens will love me as much as I love it. I am still shooting some duds at times when I am not careful to align my camera properly.

If I was to get just one lens, I would go with 50 f 1.4 USM. This one practically lives on my camera. I shoot a lot of portraits at home, no artificial light (although, just ordered speedlight, LOL) and it is so sharp with beautiful bookeh. Outside, I love it too and I do not mind walking a few steps.

If you want landscape lens at this moment, go with 10-22, although 28-135 is not too shabby and you can get some great shots with.

Good luck with your decision, I had similar to make, I ended up with a lineup I am very happy with : 10-22, 50 f 1.4, 70-200 f4L IS for my 40D. My next lens will be either Tamron 28-75 f2.8 or Canon 24-70 L f 2.8

<div>

Thanks for the info ... food for thought []

I hadn't considered the 50mm 1.4 due to cost, but i guess it might be a better long term use of my money over the f1.8

You have a good range of lenses there!
    </div>

Honestly if you're on a budget, the NiftyFifty 1.8 is an amazing piece of plastic! For the $$ you pay it takes amazing shots, especially for candids, bokeh!

You can't go wrong for the price! But if you want to invest more the 1.4 is also great or you can save up for the L one day.

For the money, I would stick with the 50 1.8. It should serve you well while you learn to develope your technique and style.I purchased that lens right when I bought my first camera and havebeen using it for about 3 years now. I am a very happy owner. It has great sharpnessand serves me well for indoor stuff of the family and kids. I will note that I am trying to upgrade as I think I will need a larger f stop for future shoots. Amazon had a good deal a while back, but they have been out of stock for about a month. I would use the 50 1.8 and then slowly build your kit of lenses from there.

Just my $.02

Jayson

Don't forget you can also stitch multiple shotstogether if you are doing static landscapes while you save up for something wider... It doesn't help with the perspective shift, or depth of field, though.

gidge... I'm not in the position to be throwing all of my money at a multitude of L series lenses and have only really been shooting with a DSLR for 12 months or so. So I'm thinking you're in a similar position to what I was at one stage. I work with a budget and get some pretty good shots (at least I think so), so it can be done. Remember - you can have all the gear in the world but if you don't know what to do with it then it's wasted glass.

I use a 40D and I found that the 28-135mm (although being an amazing bang for your buck lens) was a little "flat" I suppose for landscape shots. By flat I mean it didn't really give me that dramatic perspective you see out of a wide angle/ ultrawide angle lens.

I invested in the 10-22mm and it's been a dream [Y] . It's a step above in terms of build quality from the 28-135 and the images it produces are amazing. It's also great as a portrait lens as Sean Setters has shown in some previous posts. It's more expensive than the Tokina/ sigma equivalents but I wouldn't trade it any day of the week.

I also have the nifty 50mm f/1.8 II and I must say for the price it's a great addition to my kit. It's a little slow to autofocus but you can expect some shortfalls when you pay so little for it. It's plasticky goodness at its best and produces some lovely sharp photos and outstanding bokeh.

Hope this helps you make a decision anyway mate. Good Luck.

Ben.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Thanks all for the helpful advise and info, will think about over the coming days/weeks whilst I learn/play with my new camera.