Hello,

I took some pictures this weekend and am trying to do my best with post processing. Need some help with RAW image editing inCanon DPP, ver. 2.1.It wasfamily portrait shots of a friend who is in very poor health.

Afternoon,outdoor shots with somein full sun while others in heavily shaded areas. Shot with Canon 30d,detached flash (set to manual), in RAW/Jpeg format.

I would like to know the best way, without to great aneffort due to time restraints, in makingthe following corrections and in further learning.

1)Isbrightness adjustments a matter of taste or do you use the graph somehow? Which is almost complete Greek to me.My full sun shots just need to be darkened and typically I do this by taste.

2) The rest of my shots werepurposefully underexposed. I wanted a darker background while using flash on mysubjects. However,myflash setting was to low initially. What is the best way to lighten subject without lightening the background to much?Also do I adjust with the "brightness adjustment" slider or thevertical barson the graph?I always use theslider and typically adjust 17, 33 or up to50. Are these typical adjustments or can I go even higher as one pic is very dark (no flash fire).I initially adjusted the RAW imagein DPP and then the Jpeg imageinPhotoshopbut Noise becomes anissue.

3) My greatest problem is with shadows or bright spots. I have a few shots which need to be lightened some but also have very bright areas where sun shone through. These areas are blown out onone side of face (cheeks and nose). What is the best way to lighten the overall photo and address the bright spots?

My initial attempt, in order to quicklypresent something forthem to choose,was to lighten the RAW in DPP. I thensaved and adjusted the Jpeg image in Photoshop using both the "lighten shadows" and "darken highlights" feature. I thenused the clone tool or brush tool toisolate and darken the blown out areas specifically

4) Lastly, howmuch and when do you adjust with Gausien Blur or Sharpness. I have a few which are slightly out of focus and then want to present some with a softer touch.

Your help in making the above corrections would be greatly appreciated. Note: I ambetter using DPP for RAW images while using Photoshop(more features) on the Jpeg image.

Thanks