Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade 50mm f/1.8 to 50mm f/1.4?

Upgrade 50mm f/1.8 to 50mm f/1.4?

Is it worth it for me to get rid of the 1.8 for the 1.4? I have recently started doing more and more portraits. I will be getting the 85mm f/1.8 soon and was thinking it might be time to move up from the 50mm 1.8. Any thoughts? I would love to hear from someone that has had both lenses or at least had a chance to compare them. I bought the 1.8 back when I was in high school and didn't have the money for the 1.4, but now that I have the cash I'm thinking I should upgrade. Better build quality, wider aperture, slightly sharper, FTM focus.

Re: Upgrade 50mm f/1.8 to 50mm f/1.4?

It

Am I the only guy happy with his canon 50 f/1.4?

No, it isn't razor sharp at f/1.4, but the even the 35 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.2 aren't either (they're sharper than the 50, I admit). No, the build quality isn't as good as some lenses, but it's fine with me. The bokeh isn't as good as the 50 f/1.2, but it is far better than that of the 50 1.8. (The vignetting is pretty bad at f/1.4, no question).

I've never used the sigma- so I'm not comparing the canon to that. But it's hard to imagine someone upgrading from the canon f/1.8 (as I once did) being disappointed. I've taken lots of nice pictures with my 50. IMO an upgrade (be it to canon or sigma) is worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Am I the only guy happy with his canon 50 f/1.4?

No, it isn't razor sharp at f/1.4, but the even the 35 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.2 aren't either

They aren't?

If it gets sharper than the 85 1.2 I don't need to know about it.

I'm relatively happy with my Canon 50mm f/1.4. I've never owned the 50mm f/1.8, but the reason I bought the f/1.4 version is because I borrowed the f/1.8 from a friend and absolutely hated the build quality and loud/cheap AF.

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I borrowed the f/1.8 from a friend and absolutely hated the build quality and loud/cheap AF.

Another reason why I am thinking of upgrading
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by salazarbrujo

dont forget the other choices as well~ the 100mm maco and non macro are very good! the 85mm 1.8 is excellent from what i have read,and seen! i personally have used the 100mm macro non is and it is very nice!

I want the 100mm f/2.8 IS Macro but that can wait. If I replace my 50mm f/1.8 it will be with another 50mm

I had the f/1.8. It was cheap, awful AF. Sold it for how much i paid for it. I have f/1.4. I

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

No, it isn't razor sharp at f/1.4, but the even the 35 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.2 aren't either
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

They aren't?

If it gets sharper than the 85 1.2 I don't need to know about it.

I'm not talking about stopped way down, I mean at f/1.4. My new 85 f/1.2 is definitely sharper at f/4 than f/1.4. And it has major CA at f/1.2. (gone when stopped down).

I'm not saying I've used a sharper lens at f/1.4, but it isn't what I call "razor sharp".

Are you telling me your 85 f/1.2 is super sharp wide open?

I'd like to reply here.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker
    Is it worth it for me to get rid of the 1.8 for the 1.4?

Definitely. I had the 50mm f1.8 for quite some months, but I haven't enjoyed it once. It's not a bad lens at all if you know how to work with it, but I can't imagine anyone really enjoying shooting with one after having a taste of the "big brothers".

Honestly, the AF sound, build-quality and very poor and breakable character of this lens turned me down enourmously. I must also admit that the focal length wasn't my thing that time. At the time I was shooting with a crop-camera and I didn't like the 50mm focal length. Plus the 50mm of my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 at the time was more pleasingand useful to me for 99/100 situations back then.

When I upgraded to full-frame and I was in search of something low-light I examined my favorite focal length and I started to see that I shoot a lot around the 50mm range so I decided to look there.

The amateur photographer that I am doesn't need and doesn't have the money for a 50mm 1.2L so I was down to a quest [] It came down to the Canon f1.4 USM or the Sigma 50mm f1.4 HSM. Both are in the same category and class. However there are some differences.

I tried both lenses in a store. Inside unfortunately so my testing might not be the most accurate, but I instantly saw the difference in sharpness between both lenses. Wide open the Sigma looked much sharper to me. And it's actually very usable at f1.4. And I like to have the opportunity to use a lens at it's maximum setting. That's what I pay for right?

Anyway sharpness was not the only thing. I also like the build quality of the Sigma much better. It has a metal body vs a plastic one. It's bigger and in this case bigger is better. I like the extra weight and the larger focus ring. It just feels more natural on the camera. I like to hold the camera with both hands. With the 50mm f1.8 this was practically impossible [:P]

The 77mm filter thread was also appealing to me since I have more lenses with this size and so I don't have to buy a different polarizer etc for each lens.

All in all I prefered the Sigma over the Canon so I bought it.

Here's the catch...it has focus-issues. In my case it front-focussed, but with a +9 micro-focusadjustment this was solved and it left me with a great lens. However when reading some reviews and user-experiences, the fcusissues are a Sigma-quality. So for that fact I personally wouldn't buy one without any gaurantee or return-policy. It's a risk you can take and it can turn out great or it can eat you.

It was worth the risk for me and I enjoy the fact that I did. Economically speaking, both lenses cost practically the same at the moment (that was a major con for the Sigma when it was released) so that's solved now.

Now that I have used the micro-focus adjustment I must say that this might also have worked for the Canon. But I will never know.

I'm voting for the Sigma. You're going to love the image-quality! The bokeh is just lovely...devine compared to the 50mm f1.8 you're using now [] But I recommend it with two side-notes:

1 - The Sigma might have focus-issues. Chances are real so be prepared if you're going here.

2 - Try both lenses out if you have the chance.

Good luck,

Jan

PS: check out revies on both lenses at dpreview.com for example. But look only to reviews when both lenses are reviewed by the same site/person. This will give you the most objective view.

the 1.4 is a well worthed upgrade from the 1.8. not only sharper but the full time manual is a must have feature with such a shallow DOF, it made the difference for me

but the question here is not which 50mm gives you the more bang for your buck it