Thread: Post Your Best DIY Ideas!

Post Your Best DIY Ideas!

Hi All -

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread going of photos and/or text of any DIY setups orsuggestions anyone would care to share. We are all looking to save a few $$ when it comes to accessories, lighting setups, etc.and I have seen a few here and there in various threads but I think many of us could benefit from having them in one place.

Bob - if you could repost your hb setup here, that would be great!

I'm not sure if this thread will take off ...but we'll see!

Denise

Re: Post Your Best DIY Ideas!

Print your own lens hood (works for blocking light, not for impact resistance).

Hoods for full frameand Hoods for crop.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston

Print your own lens hood (works for blocking light, not for impact resistance).

[url="http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/hoods/Canon-EF-85mm-f-1.8-USM.php]Hoods for full frame[/url]and [url="http://www.lenshoods.net/canon.php]Hoods for crop[/url].
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I need one for my 85mm ...I had one on order @ Amazon for months &amp; then they cancelled my order saying they didn't know when they'd have more available!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Bob - if you could repost your hb setup here, that would be great!

Here ya go. Setup: Bird feeder taped on top of white PVC pole, supported by a Christmas tree stand. One 400 watt utility light is setup up on the tall ladder to light the back ground. Background plants sitting on a board that is bolted to the paint try on the small ladder. and of course, my 7D, 100-400 and 580exII flash on the tripod.

http://rwilliamsimaging.com/img/s9/v13/p971493103-4.jpg

http://rwilliamsimaging.com/img/s6/v6/p759540791-4.jpg

For some reason, The site is only letting me put one shot up at a time. When I try to put up asecond the "Insert Media" window is empty.

P.S. My wife says to tell you that the patio looks better than this when I am not using the decorations for props and backgrounds and the ladders are in the garage.

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

P.S. My wife says to tell you that the patio looks better than this when I am not using the decorations for props and backgrounds and the ladders are in the garage. [img]/emoticons/emotion-18.gif[/img]

Bob

Sure Bob. We all know you havea 40 year old couch and a couple of milk crates (making a table) just out of frame on the left.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

And, for my submission, a mounting arm for the 28" Westcott Apollo softbox which allows for tilting the softbox.

DIY Reversing ring:

You will need:

1 Body Cap

1 Old Filter with threads to fit the lens you wish to use.

Epoxy

Knife or drill with hole saw bit

Cut center out of body cap, file smooth. Remove glass from filter ring. Center ring over body cap and epoxy in place, filter rings out.

Wait to dry, screw lens into filter and attach to camera via body cap.

Can be used with any lens. To adjust aperture in Canon, you will mount the lens as normal in either M or Av mode. Set aperture to choice, depress Depth of Field Preview Button and hold. Remove lens, aperture is now set.