Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monitor Hardware Calibration

Monitor Hardware Calibration

G'day all,

I've just purchased a new Dell u2410 24" monitor and obviously I want to take advantage of its IPS panel and get accurately displayed colours etc.

So I'm wondering if anyone uses hardware calibration and if so, what do you use and how do you find its performance?

I've looked at Bryan's X-rite review and it looks fine but I remember reading that review quite some time ago so it could be a little outdated compared to some of the newer products out there.

I don't want to spend a fortune unless it's really going to be worth the expense. I've had a look at the Pantone Huey which seems to be the cheapest going around - although I'm often hesitant going for cheap gear unless it has rave reviews.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Cheers, Ben.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Re: Monitor Hardware Calibration

I am certainly no expert, but I bought a Spyder 3 Pro and it made a world of difference in my prints---worth every penny. This is one of those purchase that I saw instant results.

Good luck
    Bob

Thanks Bob. I had a look at the Spyder 3 express and it looks alright too. As far as I can see the major difference between the express and pro is multliple monitor support but I don't really need the second monitor to be calibrated as any photo work will be on the new screen. I reckon I'll be able to set up and individual ICC profile for each monitor anyway.

Cheers.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

G´day btaylor,

I am using Spyder3 Elite and are getting excellent results. The only thing I dislike is the graphical userinterface. It is a bit complicated if you are doing a manual calibration.

Another alternative is Eye-One Display 2, it is more userfriendly. I guess they perform quite similar.

If you are doing a lot of printing ColorMunki has the option of calibrating prints.

- Johnny

Good tip Johnny, Thanks mate.

Just to follow up - I ended up buying the Spyder 3 Express and so far it seems spot on. Got a few printsmade upand the colours and exposureare pretty much perfect between what's on the screen and what prints. It's also very simple to set up and the software is simple.

I must say it's a nice change to have confidence that what I see on screen is going to come out perfectly. It's a nice product and for the price I'd highly recommend it.

The Dell u2410 is also a great piece of gear by the way. Beautiful colour rendition, plenty of peripheral's (except a bloody CF card reader - has SD and XD), great resolution, looks nice, is massiveand doesn't cost a fortune.

I'd highly recommend it as well [Y][Y]

quote: "I must say it's a nice change to have confidence that what I see on screen is going to come out perfectly." end quote;

G´Day btaylor,

Glad to hear you bought a product you are happy with. Every photographer should have a hardware calibrator.

- Johnny

I use the spyder 2 and it works fine, but it really affects the startup of windows, it can take a long long time to load the calibration into the video card. About all it does is turn down the brightness of my display slightly, the colors were alread right on.

Useful even for laptop?

Hey all, I have been getting into photography for the past 3 years, and bought a new MacBook Pro with CS5 a year or so ago. I'm gradually getting the hang of the CS5 workflow and editing features, but getting extremely frustrated when I go to print photos because they're coming out way darker than on my screen. I guess the Mac display is adding some brightness, because they even look slightly dark when viewing on a PC (though not as dark as in print). I tried compensating for this by editing with the monitor brightness turned down a bit but I'm still not getting good results.

My question: Is it worth buying a hardware calibration solution for a laptop, or should I be investing in a standalone LCD monitor for doing photo editing? I guess another way to state that would be, will I ever be able to get a MacBook Pro screen to look like my prints, or is that a futile endeavor?

Thanks!