Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Softboxes...Which one to get?

Softboxes...Which one to get?

I want to get my first softbox but I am finding out that they are pretty expensive. I already own 2 sets of shoot through umbrellas 30" and 48" where the bigger set has the detachable black covers. I have Alienbee monolights and they offer these with included speedring on their site:

24" x 36" $119.95

32" x 40" $129.95

30" x 60" $159.95

foldable softboxes, umbrella-like construction, 2 optional translucent internal diffusion panels included, front translucent white diffusion panel, 60 day satisfaction guarantee

My question is whats the best size to go with if I got one? My mind is telling me bigger the better since they are all pretty close in price? Does anyone know of a better deal or price for a quality softbox with a speedring?

Re: Softboxes...Which one to get?

I own the 24"x36", the 32"x40", and the 47" octa from Paul C. Buff. They are all fantastic. Compared to other traditional softboxes that require assembly every time you want to use them, the PCB ones are exceptionally convenient. I used to own a cheap 47" octa that I purchased from Ebay. However, once I got the PCB octa, I gave the Ebay octa away (it simply wasn't worth the time and effort of assembly). Seriously, the PCB softboxes and octaboxes are worth getting.

To figure out which softbox is best for you, I'd suggest figuring out exactly what you want to shoot with it. If you're needing to light multiple people, you'll likely want a bigger softbox (or even the octa).

I new that was going to be the response after i hit the reply button. I

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots
    My inital thoughts are always go bigger then you think you need as that usually covers room to expand as your needs grow.

That was my thinking, and why I went with the PCB 47" octabox w/ grid (which has almost the same surface area as the 30x60" rectangular) for my Einstein 640. One other consideration is the power of your monolights, relative to the size of the softbox (not an issue if you're shooting with the light very close to the subject).

Like Sean, I'm very happy with the PCB octabox; I also have (and really like!) a pair of Lastolite Ezybox Hotshoe 24x24" softboxes for use with Speedlites.

Can you use the AlienBees largest softbox to photograph smaller things?

You can most certainly photograph small objects with large boxes. I use the 47" octa to photograph rings.

Is there any benefit to photographing smaller items with a smaller softbox verses a large softbox?

I guess that depends on just how small the object is. Different size boxes will shape light differently. However, as the objects get smaller, you'll likely see less difference between softboxes (or octaboxes) no matter the size.

Those are more for fashion type work are they not?

I think what matters here is the shape of the reflection on the surface of whatever you're trying to photograph. I typically use my octabox because it's quick and convenient to set up and is large enough to just about surround the object I'm photographing. However, there are times when using my two softboxes would be better because the square shapes resemble windows when reflected in shiny jewelry (and even more so if you take some gaffer's tape and create a windowpane structure on the front of your diffusion panel).

One more question. Do you think the PLM umbrellas are better then the rectangle softboxes for what I want to do? I've already got a 48" or 50" white umbrella where I just don't have a diffusion panel for the opposite side

Again, I think it's the shape of catchlight (reflection) that's most important. However, if you do decide on an umbrella or PLM, be sure to pick up a diffusion panel. The spokes of an umbrella look terrible when seen on a highly reflective surface.

Thanks for the responses.

I recommend the Lastolite Ezyboxes. So easy to set up.

I also will +1 on the PCB 47" octobox as you first soft box. It takes me all of three minutes to assemble, and whether I am doing a large group portrait, or a 2" tiny product shot. I also highly recommend his 10x36" foldable strip box as your second.

PCB rocks!

I also have 2 of his newer 67" PLM

So the octabox does a better job then the rectangular softbox? Is the main benefit a larger footprint of light? Does the 47" octabox offer more light then the 30 x 60 rectangular?

Can AB 800 unit take full advantage of the larger softboxes or does one need the more powerful unit like the 1600 for indoor studio work?

I'm full of questions aren't I.