Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof Camera Cover

Waterproof Camera Cover

I will be heading to Costa Rica during the rainy season with my 50D and 24-100 and 100-400 and I know I will be rained apon several times a day. Does anyone have a recommendation for a waterproof cover that will allow me to keep shooting in a tropical downpour? I am not looking for a waterproof camera carrying bag for transportation or storage.

Re: Waterproof Camera Cover

I was in a camera shop in downtown vancouver (I think it was called Leo's) and they sold these bags that fit over your camera and partway up your arm for shooting in the rain. They were disposable and came in packs of like, ten or something. I don't remember what they were called but they exist, anyway.

Thanks for the quick reply but I was thinking more along the lines of the Tenba, Kata Elements Cover or AquaTech. Basically something more permanant and heavy duty. I will be hiking through the jungle so the cover will have to survive being drug through bushes and I don't want to discover during a downpour that my camera is getting wet and have to pull out another cover.

Take a look at Juza's article on his trip to Costa Rica. It's not the rain that will get you, it's the humidity.

http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles-nature/juza_photo_trips_countries_equipment.htm

His weather sealed 1Ds III has permanent exposure problems, Sigma 12-24 will no longer auto-focus and his friends D3 ended up with similar problems.

I've bought an underwater housing for a P&S from this supplier based in the UK:

http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/index.html

Check out their website to give yourself an idea of whats available out there. I have also found that you'll need to put a satchet of silica gel into any housing with the camera to prevent fogging, especially if you're in a very humid environment - its surprising the amount of moistue that ends up trapped inside!

I second the silica gel packets. I personally horde them, and they stay in my bag all the time. In my business I get them in almost every new box of equipment I receive for a client.

Also, I don't know if it fits your lenses, but here is a seam-sealedcover from Think Tank Photo that looks pretty nice and protectivefor telephotos.

Quote Originally Posted by Dann Thombs

Take a look at Juza's article on his trip to Costa Rica. It's not the rain that will get you, it's the humidity.

[url="http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles-nature/juza_photo_trips_countries_equipment.htm]http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles-nature/juza_photo_trips_countries_equipment.htm[/url]

His weather sealed 1Ds III has permanent exposure problems, Sigma 12-24 will no longer auto-focus and his friends D3 ended up with similar problems.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I love that guy's philosophy and perspective on life. He sounds like a great guy. I found thecommentary on the trips to be very interesting and insightful.

Yeah, I found it hard to believe is was in his early 20's.

Quote Originally Posted by Dann Thombs

Yeah, I found it hard to believe is was in his early 20's.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Apparently a privileged young man, but it sounds like he is very mature and has a good head on his shoulders. Good for him. Who is this master macro photographer he talks about in Louisiana? Depending on where he is, I probably live not far from there, and would like to meet that guy.

I think he pays for everything with the workshops he teaches, so I don't know if he's just priviledged. I'll give him the benefit of a doubt.

He's referencing Ronnie Gaubert who does a lot of macro with just a Nikkor 300 f/4 and extention tubes. Might be worth a look.