Thread: Will have most of Sunday afternoon and evening open - were to go

Will have most of Sunday afternoon and evening open - were to go

Any thoughts or recommendations?

The zoo is a likely stop - but was looking for more landscape type shots.

I am taking the red eye back to the east coast so I will be there for until well after the sunsets.

Thanks

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

The east coast is kind of a large area. Would you care to narrow that down a bit?
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    The east coast is kind of a large area. Would you care to narrow that down a bit?
    Sleep deprivation is so fun - I will be San Diego.

If you have a car, the wild animal park is better than the zoo. If you don't have a car, the gas light district is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    If you have a car, the wild animal park is better than the zoo. If you don't have a car, the gas light district is pretty cool.
    Thanks - wondering of there is some landscapes nearby, I will have a car.

I don't know San Diego well enough for local landscapes. I imagine there has to be something by the coast and harbor. The zoo is great, and I do think you would get some landscape shots and enjoy the animals at the wild animal park (I prefer it to the zoo). Just looking at some pictures, it looks like there are some great vantage points of downtown San Diego from near the North Island Naval Air Station.

It is far (~3-3.5 hrs) but I've been to Joshua Tree National park. You could get some epic landscapes there. A little closer, but I've driven to the Salton Sea and the Hills/Mountains on the route provided for some good landscapes. I believe it was Rt 78.

SD Zoo Safari Park (formerly the Wild Animal Park) up in Escondido is worth a trip. There are some nice seascapes between Oceanside and Camp Pendleton. Surfers in Del Mar, Solana Beach and Encinitas. You won't find much 'landscape' until you get well east, past Descanso, out toward Anzo Borego are some nice scenics.

Have fun!

Hi Busted Knuckles, I am off to La Jolla at the end of March and have done LOTS of homework. Places I definitely wanna hit up for landscapes include:
    1. Potholes at Hospital Reef http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=la%20jolla%20potholes

2. Scripps Pier at sunset http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&...+sunset&m=text

3. The Sugar Shack at Windansea Beach http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&...+sunset&m=text

That aircraft carrier/museum is certainly photo-worthy. Big enough to be a landscape all by itself, but also neat inside. Lots of nostalgic/historical goodness. I went there on a business trip, and toured the ship, but I didn't have a camera with me.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes