Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does price trump all?

Does price trump all?

What a pickle I am in. Just wondering how you guys deal with this problem.

I don't know about others who shop for camera gear but I have checked out both mom and pop camera stores and large chain retailers and of course the wonderful internet. I have received such good service at this one store, but I also know their margins are low in comparison to places like B&H. I want to buy from them and support them but I am just not financially able to throw away a few hundred dollars like that. Are you guys driven by price or do you have a 'camera guy' you always go to to purchase things from regardless?

Does price trump all?

What a pickle I am in. Just wondering how you guys deal with this problem.

I don't know about others who shop for camera gear but I have checked out both mom and pop camera stores and large chain retailers and of course the wonderful internet. I have received such good service at this one store, but I also know their margins are low in comparison to places like B&H. I want to buy from them and support them but I am just not financially able to throw away a few hundred dollars like that. Are you guys driven by price or do you have a 'camera guy' you always go to to purchase things from regardless?

Re: Does price trump all?

Tough to accept but gotta admit that price drives me.

I will buy all my lenses and bodies from out of state stores with no sales tax (in california its close to 10% right now) but, for example, i bought a battery and a roll of film at my local camera store. I try to keep everything small local

I buy from reputable sellers with the lowest price.

Quote Originally Posted by jlau
    Are you guys driven by price or do you have a 'camera guy' you always go to to purchase things from regardless?

If you can find a local place with an honest, friendly, trustworthy camera guy that provides good service, that's a good reason to buy there, even if it's 20% more. (IMHO.)

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison

I will buy all my lenses and
    bodies from out of state stores with no sales tax (in california its
    close to 10% right now)

Did you know that you are evading taxes illegally?

The state of California (as well as my state and almost every other state, in fact) requires you to track all your out of state purchases, calculate how much sales tax you *would* have paid, then write them a check:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_tax

Most people are not even aware that they are illegally evading taxes when they buy online or by telephone without sending the tax into their State Dept. of Revenue.

As a highschool student who washes dishes for his main source of income, I can tell you that price is a big factor haha. Inflated rates of the smaller shops have just kept me out. Ex: I wanted my sensor cleaned. Local shop wanted close to $200 just to open up the camera. Canon Repairs cleaned it up for $50 plus $13 shipping.

Does it suck not supporting the little guys? Yeahh, but the line has to be drawn somewhere as to how much more you'll spend supporting him.

-Rodger

Now a view from the other side. I work for a Mon and Pop type computer store, people buy from us, for service, local support, and not having to be on hold for hour and then talk to someone from India!! Our prices are not as low as Dell and HP, but we do not have excessive markup. We are not getting rich here!! We remove viruses from computers, and reload windows for 60 to 90, which cost less and done better than Staples or Best Buy. We have been in business for over 20 years, so our business plan is working. I alway buy local, if possible, it supports the local economy. If you need support for your product it will be cheaper in the long run. I do buy my camera equipment from B&H, because of cost and the reputation for good service, and there is not a camera store of any kind within 90 miles of where I live.

Gunslinge,

I'm glad you posted that view. I guess the shops around my area are just expensive. If a local shop has good reputation, cheaper costs, friendly service, I'm there in a heartbeat. But I guess that still means cost drives my decision.. haha.

Rodger

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen
    I buy from reputable sellers with the lowest price

I do same thing, and even more if it's a big purchasing, i'll carefully try those "unknown" store if risk only means paying return shipping and time, I'v tried couple of those, so far so good.