Hi guys,

I'm now looking for an one lens solution for my 50D. My 24-70/2.8L does the job perfect but the combo is somehow too heavy and large for me when I'm travelling and photography is not my major activity.

I feel hard to let go with a f/2.8 aperture, and I have just killed the prime lens solution as I think that I'll lose photo opportunities if only one prime is avaliable to me. So now I'm looking at both Canon 17-55 and Tamron 17-50. I tried on both and they all feel good to me. The Tamron is actually very, very fast in AF and images are as good as I would easily accept. The Canon does do a little better job, as having an AF window and focuses quietly. The IS is useful but not absolutely necessary at this focal length. At this moment it's hard for me to justify the extra cost of the Canon.

Is there any good reason that I should consider the Canon 17-55 lens? I failed to see how Canon would sell the 17-55 at almost 24-70L's price. The Tamron certainly does a great job and is in no way worse optically.

Flame me if you have a good reason.

Ben