Thread: Gitzo GT1541, GT1542T or GT2541

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    I wonder why so many photographers buy a tripod to fit their suitcase rather than a suitcase to fit their tripod?
    And that is the best advice I have received on all of the boards thus far.

It made me realize that a traveler tripod would only serve to fit onto a carry-on suitcase, of which, I plan on never carrying-on the tripod because of the chance that TSA or an airline would refuse to let me board the plane with it. I realize folks have successfully done so, but I do not want to take the chance of having to dispose of the tripod with nothing to package it safely into a checked bag.

Therefore, I would just as well take my larger suitcase, pack in a less restricted manner and fit a more stable set of legs. I do not travel often by air - maybe 2-3 times per year. If it ever became an issue, I guess I could just get the 1-series traveler at that point (GT1542T), but for day-to-day usage, the GT2541 makes for a better tripod to drag around town or even a family car-driven vacation.

Thanks!
    Darius

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrogen View Post
    And that is the best advice I have received on all of the boards thus far.

It made me realize that a traveler tripod would only serve to fit onto a carry-on suitcase, of which, I plan on never carrying-on the tripod because of the chance that TSA or an airline would refuse to let me board the plane with it. I realize folks have successfully done so, but I do not want to take the chance of having to dispose of the tripod with nothing to package it safely into a checked bag.

Therefore, I would just as well take my larger suitcase, pack in a less restricted manner and fit a more stable set of legs. I do not travel often by air - maybe 2-3 times per year. If it ever became an issue, I guess I could just get the 1-series traveler at that point (GT1542T), but for day-to-day usage, the GT2541 makes for a better tripod to drag around town or even a family car-driven vacation.

Thanks!
    Darius
    I think that's sound logic!