Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more instruction booklets for lenses?

No more instruction booklets for lenses?

I just received my EF 16-35mm f/2.8<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L II lens, and discovered that unlike every other Canon lens I've purchased, this one didn't come with an instruction booklet folded in half and tucked in next to the lens. Instead, there were these:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-35-15/Canon_2D00_CDROM.JPG[/img]

The CD contains PDF manuals for all of the lenses (in multiple languages). Canon is finally saving some trees, at least in some cases - the MT-24EX that I bought at the same time (and used to illuminate this shot) did come with a nice, fat printed booklet.

Re: No more instruction booklets for lenses?

[^o)] Grey Market maybe? I got a book with mine.

I got the exact same CD with the last L lens that I bought just last week from Amazon.com, which had a date code of August. I was going to post something about it too, but forgot about it. Seems they must have just switched since the lens I bought with a date code of July came with the normal booklet.

You
    - Trowski

Interesting. If you need to resell this lens, I hope none of the buyers will lower their bidding price due to missing booklets. I would think the "EF LENS Quick Guide" booklet would serve that purpose just as well ("gee, it comes with the official paper looking thingy, must be worth the price!").

Neuro

I don

The CD does say Version 1.0 on it....makes sense if the switch was recent.

I just checked B&amp;H and Canon

It probably wastes more resources to press the CD than it does to print the booklet. At least the booklet can be easily recycled or be made from recycled pulp--the CD, being fused polycarbonate, aluminum, and ink, may not be so easy. If this were about being environmentally sound, they would simply direct owners to download the appropriate manuals. I think it

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    Grey Market maybe? I got a book with mine.
    <div>

Definitely not. Canon USA warranty card inside. But when I look at the Brochures &amp; Manuals section of the Canon USA page on the 16-35 II, it shows that the pdf of the manual was posted 8/2/2010 so this seems to be a new development. I recall that a while back, theBrochures &amp; Manuals section was empty for most of the lenses. Now they are available for all of the lenses that I just clicked on, and the date posted for all of them that I checked is the same -8/2/2010. Seems like this is a recent switch across the whole lineup.

So, if you got yours recently, you got some old stock maybe? [6] (The date code on mine is UY10, so i was produced last month.)
    <div>

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    If you need to resell this lens, I hope none of the buyers will lower their bidding price due to missing booklets.

I've only sold on CL, and really no one has ever asked. But since I can just copy the files from the CD to my HDD, I could simply include the CD, right? Not that I plan on selling the 16-35mm, and it's pretty likely that even if I get to that point I'd have spare copies of the CD by then...
    </div>

<div>

The only green they are going here is to save the two george washington green backs it cost to print the booklet.

Now that I can believe! Even if wickerprints is correct that the CD costs more to press than the booklet costs to print, he's also right about the cost savings in other areas. For one thing, the CD+quick guide weighs ~1.3 oz, whereas the booklet from another lens I grabbed weighs ~1.9 oz. For one unit, no big deal, but in aggregate maybe that reduces transoceanic shipping costs slightly? As a sidebar, the lens booklet I grabbed was for the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, and I noticed something - the L lenses use thicker cardboard for their boxes. Go figure...

<div>

What kind of pouch/case did you get with yours Neuro? Canon's web site shows the nifty brown case like comes with the 100-400mm. Mine came with the little grey pouch.

It came with the grey LP1319 pouch, which is what's stated on the box. Brown case? Never seen one of those! My 100-400 and 70-200 II came with LZ cases, the silver/gray ones with a zipper. Ahhh...looking at the Canon website for the 16-35mm II, the accessory section does list an LZ1319 instead of LP1319 and shows a picture of LZ cases. I think that's a goof on the Canon website, though. When you go to the Canon Online Store and search for the LZ1319, it shows as 'no results found', while LP1319 pulls up the right case (which is the same case the TS-E 24mm II came with).

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints
    That said, I actually LIKE this change. It means that you get all the information in a convenient electronic format for every lens. It also means the lack of the CD shouldn't be a big deal because if it comes with every lens, then practically everyone would have one. Only discontinued lenses might not be included.

I agree - I prefer this! You're right that discontinued lenses are not included, at least not intentionally. But some of them are there, for example the 70-200mm f/2.8L (non-IS) is still current, and it shares the same manual with two discontinued L zooms, the 17-35mm f/2.8L and the 28-70mm f/2.8L - so in that sense, electronic manuals for those two discontinued lenses are available and on the CD.

What's not on the CD is the manual for the new 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS zoom (that one is also not available for download, in fact there is noBrochures &amp; Manuals section on that lens' page on the Canon USA website). So, I expect we'll see a Ver. 1.1 of the CD pretty soon...
    </div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

A minor clarification: I did not say that a CD costs more to make than a booklet--in fact, I implied the opposite, although I can