Thread: Tripod Head for big lens?

Tripod Head for big lens?

I am primarily a wildlife photographer and need a solid tripod head to go along with a solid tripod. I will be mounting a 50d and 500mm lens, with hood, flash, etc.

Any recommendations for tripods/heads?

Re: Tripod Head for big lens?

Check out the ones here. http://reallyrightstuff.com/index.html

I personally don't have one of theirs but do know folks that have them and they really like them. Also check out the ones that Bryan recommends in his reviews.

I'm assuming you're using the Canon 500 f/4 IS L?

You're best bet would be the Wimberly Gimbal Head II:

http://the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Wimberley-Tripod-Head-II-Review.aspx

This head will make the 500 seem weightless on the tripod. You'll be able to move the lens with ease, and tracking birds in flight will be a dream. Also, with the Wimberly lens plate, you'll be able to slide the setup forward/backwards on the head to find the point of balance. This avoids the risk of everything flopping over. I would hands down recommend this head.

As for tripods, I would suggest something very solid. You'll probably want to consider a Gitzo for that heavy lens.

I recommend you handhold your 500 f/4 []

I find it funny that after saying you'll be mounting a 500mm that you bother to even mention the extra 200 ounces of a flash. I would go with wimberly ball head and a realyrightstuff bracket and legs.

Brendan....I to spend most of my time capturing wildlife......go w/a gimbal.

As alexneidra stated; tracking birds in flight will be made much easier and handling a lens this size will be easier than a ball/head setup.

Lucky man....a 500mm....I'm saving my pennies! Do you plan on a 1.4x and better beemer?

There are a few sturdy (various brands) tripods available, just make sure that the combination of the tripod, gimbal, and camera view finder are at least eye level, not lower.

Enjoy

Bill

Big recommendation: read this article, several times if necessary: http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

"Thom's Maxim #2: <span style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: x-small;"]You can spend US$1700 to buy a good tripod and head, or
    you can spend US$1000 and do the same thing. (Corollary: eventually you'll
    do one or the other.)"

It's convinced me of two things: my existing tripod is awful (which it is), and I'm going to put up with it for a while until I can spend the money on the right solution.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Peety;

Good link....when I was doing research for my tripod, I came across this article and ended up spending more than I had planned on a tripod. I haven't regretted the decision.

Good advice for the first time buyer.