Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I am not sure if adding more reviews will help as I think most issues have been covered and, at least, I, feel like I have a good understanding of the cameras...but Vanessa Joy, Explorer of Light, Wedding photographer....her experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeFc6-8rmGk&t=139s
    Maybe right but still nice to see different applications and opinions from a variety of folks. This one again praises the high ISO performance and focusing. Maybe the f/11 lenses are totally dumb after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Maybe right but still nice to see different applications and opinions from a variety of folks. This one again praises the high ISO performance and focusing. Maybe the f/11 lenses are totally dumb after all.
    The biggest takeaway I saw with the f/11 lens reviews is that the focusing area is restricted to the middle of the screen only. That would probably still be okay for BOAS but it would make it rather challenging for BIFs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    The biggest takeaway I saw with the f/11 lens reviews is that the focusing area is restricted to the middle of the screen only. That would probably still be okay for BOAS but it would make it rather challenging for BIFs.
    I agree with you there .... also limits composition options.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I am not sure if adding more reviews will help as I think most issues have been covered and, at least, I, feel like I have a good understanding of the cameras...but Vanessa Joy, Explorer of Light, Wedding photographer....her experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeFc6-8rmGk&t=139s
    I forwarded to the Lens Adaptor part and she said there’s no issue, is there a problem with the R5 I couldn’t find it. Overall her review on everything is very positive. Like I said I think my schedule of buying the R5 has been moved up lol 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen View Post
    I forwarded to the Lens Adaptor part and she said there’s no issue, is there a problem with the R5 I couldn’t find it. Overall her review on everything is very positive. Like I said I think my schedule of buying the R5 has been moved up lol 
    Ha.. Yes, I think it is a pretty amazing camera. To put it in perspective, even those reviewers that are notorious for being anti-Canon are very enthusiastic about the R5/R6. It is a stills first camera, so if video is your thing, either wait for a firmware update (looking more and more like that the heat issue is mostly firmware related and not a physical issue. I.e. either Canon is being ultra conservative with their temperature thresholds or they intentionally limited the R5/R6 so they would not compete with the Cini line). But, if you mostly want a stills camera...here you go. If you do not need the 45 MP, try to R6, which in many tests is coming close to resolving the same detail as my 30 MP 5DIV.

Two impressive cameras. Impressive enough, I am seeing several people shifting to them as their main cameras, including TDP's Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen View Post
    is there a problem with the R5 I couldn’t find it.
    So, I have saturated myself to the point where I feel I have an reasonable understanding of the Cameras, even though I have not used them myself. Ultimately, they are tools, granted, industry leading tools. Where they might be limited a bit compared to other tools out there (for stills):
    • FPS: Apparently the 12 FPS is with fully charged battery. As the battery diminishes, so does the FPS. This could be a decisive advantage for the 1DXIII for those that want fast FPS. As of now, I am mostly viewing them as a ~10 FPS cameras. Which is still amazing, especially for a "event" camera, but is that enough for me to upgrade my 5DIV? (short answer, FPS probably not, but increased buffer, yes)
    • Battery: Two issues here really:
      • While I am pleased to see multiple people reporting getting >1,000 images per charge, ultimately the CIPA rating is still low and there are likely times when the CIPA rating will come true. Also, the 1DXIII CIPA rating is crazy high. So, if buying these cameras, plan on having a couple of fully charged back up batteries. Not end of world issues here, but it will have an impact.
      • Volts. The 1DXIII (10.8V) still has a volt advantage compared to the LP-6NH (7.2 V). No reason to thing the R5/6 will be any slower in moving glass to focus, but the 1D line still has an advantage.

• AF. While Eye AF is getting lots of hype and seems to have the potential to alter how we photograph a scene similar to auto exposure modes, I have been let down a bit by other AF modes on my M6II. I am waiting to either try the new "DPAF V2" out myself, or see if others run into the issue, but I bought my M6II in part to "test" the latest MILC technology. Overall, I am very impressed, it is a great little camera. But...there are issues. In particular, the M6 II, which has DPAF v1, seems to have some issue focusing on smaller points that my 5DIV is capable of. I have not perfectly isolated this, but I do wonder if the individual sensors of the PDAF are physically smaller than the area needed with DPAF (at least V1). This is a theory, and I may be off, but once in awhile I run into an issue where the M6II just has problems focusing and there seems to be a trend where it is when what I want to focus on is small. I.e. a bison that is very far away, or hummingbird's eye. But, give the M6II a larger target, and it does great. Even a slightly larger birds eye.
    • EVF. It seems that Canon is crossing the line where the advantages of an EVF may outweigh those of an OVF. But, that will come down to personal preference. It took me over a month to really feel comfortable with the EVF on the M6 II.

But, even in the ways that many reviewers said Sony/Nikon were better than Canon, the R5/6 are now as good or better. Everything I see tells me that they are class leading cameras and that Canon really nailed it. You are going to have to get specific when looking for a "better" camera. The 1DXIII is likely to have advantages, not everyone will be able to afford a R5, etc.

Ahhh, I see your point there.... I have been out of the game for a while I don’t know those YouTube reviewers.

New stuff arrived about an hour before dark tonight........

Canon R5
    RF800mm f/11
    1/200
    iso 12,800

Canon R5
    RF800mm f/11
    1/40
    iso 2000

One example of high iso and one demonstrating IBIS

The animal eye focus works perfectly by the way

So far so good. Will post more soon when the sun is above the horizon.

These are bit soft but it was very dark and they are cropped quite a bit too as I didn't have time to prepare proper set up.
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 08-20-2020 at 12:43 AM.

Wow.

Congratulations Joel. Those are pretty sweet for right out of the box.

Looking forward to what you can come up with “a proper set up”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmmm, i so hope even more now that i get my R6 and 800mm next week. Can't wait to go on "hunting" birdies

Was able to spend a little more time with the R5 and 800mm f/11 today.

It's a fun camera, so light and easy to hold.

I enjoy seeing the focal point follow a birds eye almost perfectly every time.

I notice no blackout in the EVF and I enjoy previewing images in the EVF as it seems easier to check the images for sharpness.

The electronic shutter works as advertised .... one warning .... you will have a ton of images to look through if you use it much.
    I found it difficult to take less than 10 in a burst. It is blazingly fast with zero sound. So far I haven't seen rolling shutter but I have only been shooting relatively static subjects so I wouldn't expect to.

Have not attempted BIF yet.

Have not tried any EF lenses yet but I do have an adapter.

The f/11 800mm is very sharp and easy to maneuver but it requires high iso to get good shutter speed .... I suspect even in good light you would need at least iso 3200 or more to get enough shutter speed for flight shots. Fortunately the images at iso 3200 barely have any noticeable noise. Even iso 12,800 images can be good if the exposure is correct. (ie don't under expose)

Image quality is stellar and crop-ability fantastic too....here are a few samples from today:

iso 3200. 1/400 sec

iso 3200. 1/400 sec

iso 3200. 1/400 sec

iso 3200. 1/400 sec

iso 3200. 1/320 sec