Hi all,

I know there are a couple of threads in remote flash triggers, I hope you don't mind me opening one more to talk about the CyberSyncs.

I would like to remotely trigger my 580EX II (hopefully, I'll get a second one soon) from my 40D. I have also decided that I probably don't want to rely on the infrared Canon triggers, since it seems as if the radio-based ones are more reliable, especially outdoors.

I have seriously considered the new PocketWizard ControlTL line, but they are damn expensive. And I've seen a few folks recommending the CyberSyncs.

So, a couple of questions. First, do they work reliably with the 580EX II? And will I have to connect them to the flash through the PC connector port?

In terms of metering, one of the advantages of the latest PocketWizards is the fact that they support E-TTL II (and I assume they will be easier to use), whereas the CyberSyncs do not. So, for the CyberSyncs, how do I choose the right settings? Are there any techniques / methods / tools to help? Or will it be mostly trial-and-error? As you can see, I'm a flash newbie, so any pointers would be appreciated.

Finally, I found the AlienBees web site pretty confusing to read (the information is kind of there, but the presentation is all over the place); or maybe I'm stupid! :-) So, will I need a single CST and one CSRB per flash? And what's the difference between the CSRB and the CSRB+?

Apologies for the long post and thanks in advance for any info you'll be able to share.

Regards,

Tony