Thread: Some Random Notes on My First (D)SLR

Some Random Notes on My First (D)SLR

Hi All,

thought I'd share some notes that might be helpful to other prospective (D)SLR owners. I myself only just got a 500D about a month ago after spending the past years with a PowerShot G1 and later G7. Then I got sick of the bad low-light quality of the G7 and got a Panasonic LX3, which is a stop faster. Then I tried a DSLR, and finally understood that even a good compact with full manual control can't replace an SLR...

...for many reasons, the most important to me being image quality (but not resolution, I'm shooting mostly in 8M with my 500D and will change to RAW once its worth it), AF speed, and selective DOF.

Both the 50D and 500D were in range, and the 500D won mainly because of video (which I use on occasion for short clips, not enough to warrant a dedicated video camera). If you want to spend more, or less, you will face similar limited choices (within one manufacturers product line).

Then there are two first lenses,

- the EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS because it only cost EUR 50,- in the kit and didn't know yet which zoom range would fit my shooting style because that still needs to be developed, and

- the EF 50 f/1.8 II because every review said that the opticial quality is much better than its very low price, and it can give me a first experience working with a (reasonably fast) prime.

That said, I really like shooting with my third lens, the EF 85 f/1.8 USM, which perfectly fits the first thing that got my interest: shooting indoor available light face/head/shoulder portraits. However, on a crop body it's a bit awkward to find the space to shoot whole-body portraits indoors, so finances permitting I might get the EF 24-70 f/2.8 L USM next for greater flexibility. But keep the 85 for really tight portraits, or outdoor available light shooting.

Speaking of which, shooting with the EF 85 f/1.8 USM at (nearly) maximum aperture, with the accompanying shallow DOF, it is much harder than with my compact camera to get the intended subject in focus. Still, can't get enough of it, now that I finally can shoot with a shallow DOF ;-)

I've been having a self-inflicted hard time choosing lenses, spending many evenings reading Bryan's excellent reviews (and a couple of others) and pouring over specifications in order to find a set of lenses that "cover everything". At first I was eyeing the EF 70-200 f/4 L (IS) USM, the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, and the EF 100 f/2.8 USM Macro. But once I actually started shooting, and noticed that I enjoyed doing portraits most, the aforementioned 24-70 became the next in line, and who knows whether I will ever need a 70-200?

Time and experience will tell, however I'm already quite sure on not wanting anything with a maximum minimum aperture greater than f/4, i.e. I won't get any other consumer zooms with a f/X-5.6 aperture, unless I need an 18-200 or whatnot as one-size-fits-all-light-weight-holiday solution.

(The first time I took the 18-55 outside, in bright sunshine, there was a waterfall under some dense foliage, and f/5.6 was just about useless...unless I cranked up the ISO really high, but then I can also use the LX3 at f/2.8.)

I find it annoying, that the "Av" button (next to the display) only reacts while the viewfinder shows its status line, i.e. shortly after using the shutter button, unlike the "ISO" button (next to the shutter button) which always reacts.

I find it annoying, that the menus don't scroll vertically, i.e. menu items that are related are split over several pages, and I have to remember which of the pages an item is on. It also limits the single custom menu to one page worth of items.

The 500D doesn't have an "automatic ISO, but the maximum is X", with a configurable X, like the Panasonic LX3 has. It's not a big deal, but I don't like losing a feature in an upgrade...

On the other hand, switching from "display only" shooting with the the LX3 to "viewfinder only" was no problem (yes, there's live view, but my gut feeling tells me that it's strange to use it outside of special situations, and so I ignore that feature).

All around I really like the experience of shooting with a DSLR, it just feels more professional ;-)

Cheers, Colin

Re: Some Random Notes on My First (D)SLR

I was in a similar boat.. I went from the S100 (which I loved to death at the time) ... then I swapped to the G2 and really enjoyed it for the time I had it, even bought some of the "lens" for it.

Then I jumped onto the 40D and eventually sold it. All 3 were/are great cameras for the time I had them and couldn't of been happier when I bought them and used them.

I'm now making the jump to the 5DII this weekend (if I don't chicken out) ... it's all about learning. As you go along things get more "difficult" and it's all about playing with the toys you have and learning exactly what produces the best image you want.

This is a very expensive hobby for some of us, and I feel your pain on the lens as I made my first big purchase of the 70-200 and going to grab the 24-70 with the 5DII. I think this is my first big purchase, since I felt the 40D was more of the water testing and I fell in love with photography again and like you it was a fun time learning all about getting the proper exposure and capturing the image I wanted.

The main reason for my want of the 5DII is the IQ and the jump to FF and more control over DoF.

I also feel your pain on the 5.6 limits, my kit lens was the first lens I sold. Hence my reason for jumping to the 2.8.. and possibly going lower with the primes in the future but I love the versatility of the high quality zooms. And once I find my focal length comfort zone I might swap some lens for the primes as they're known to be sharper. Or I'll just buy both if the budget allows.

Good to see others are enjoying the swap from P&S to Prosumer .. then to the leap to DSLR, it's a big jump for sure.

And it's nice when I take family photos and my family loves them and eventually I see them printed and hanging on their walls

I don't think that would of ever happened with my P&S

Re: Some Random Notes on My First (D)SLR

Quote Originally Posted by Colin500
    Time and experience will tell, however I'm already quite sure on not wanting anything with a maximum minimum aperture greater than f/4, i.e. I won't get any other consumer zooms with a f/X-5.6 aperture, unless I need an 18-200 or whatnot as one-size-fits-all-light-weight-holiday solution.

I couldn't agree more, fast lenses though pricey give possibilities that can be only given by fast lenses []

Good luck with your new gear.