Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens hood for 100mm macro?

Lens hood for 100mm macro?

Hi,

I've been wondering, as I can't seem to hunt the information down as to what lens hood the 100mm macro - the old non-USM version (link) - uses. Anyone know?
    My gear: Canon 500D, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 70-200 F/4L IS, 100mm F/2.8 macro (non-USM), 50mm F/1.4

Re: Lens hood for 100mm macro?

It's in the review. The ET-67. Good luck!

Jan

Jan,

The only review I could find on this site was for the USM version of the lens. I have the non- USM version, the one that extends when focusing.
    My gear: Canon 500D, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 70-200 F/4L IS, 100mm F/2.8 macro (non-USM), 50mm F/1.4

Quote Originally Posted by patham

Jan,

The only review I could find on this site was for the USM version of the lens. I have the non- USM version, the one that extends when focusing.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Oh...my bad. I didn't even realize there was another one [:P] I will have another go at it.

There was no dedicated hood available for that lens. If you look closely at a [url="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/eos/EF-lenses/EF100mmf28MACRO/EF100mmf28MACRO_A.jpg]larger image of the lens[/url], you can see that there is no bayonet mount at the front of the lens to accept a hood. It has 52mm filter threads, so you might be able to get a 52mm screw-in hood that would work. However, the lens has a recessed front element, which supposedly eliminates the need for a lens hood.

[quote=Jan Paalman]It's in the review. The ET-67.[/quote]

Jan, there have been three Canon EF 100mm macro lenses:
    [list][*]EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro -original version (non-USM), released in 1990 and discontinued in 2000[*]EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM - released in 2000 and still available (but discontinued on some country-specific Canon websites)[*]EF 100mm f/2.8<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L Macro IS USM - released in 2010[/list]

Sorry Patham, this is what I found on another forum by a guy who was onto the same thing as you are:

"I went to a local shop and tried on a the ET-65 and it wasn't even close to fitting... in fact we discovered that the 100mm Macro non-usm doesn't even have the capability of having a bayonet lens hood. It never occurred to me, but it is what it is."

Dang, I need to refresh my pages before replying [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Jan, there have been three Canon EF 100mm macro lenses:

And I have had 2 of them [A] Honestly I rarely use the lens-hood on the macro-lenses, since I use flash most of the time. And if I don't, I feel like the extension by the lens-hood is bothering me more than the theoretical loss of image-quality when not using one.

With other uses than macro I do use the lens hood...at least most of the time []

Thank you John and Jan. I guess I

Here's a52mm screw-in hoodfor telephoto lenses that would work. There are cheaper versions that are shorter, which combined with the recessed front element might be sufficient. Here are some search results.

Thanks John!

I was just thinking of screw-in as the front of the lens does have a recessed bit which while not a bayonet mount does seem like it could take a hood.

Jan, indeed I wasn