Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EF-S Lens & compatability:

EF-S Lens & compatability:

Good evening all:

I have been doing a fair bit of research on just what cameras they are compatible with. I know that they will work with 1.6 sensors and not with full frame. What I have not figured out is are they compatible with the 1.3 sensors. I have not been able to find it addressed any where. It is most likely someplace very obvious and I have over looked it, or some other obvious place I have not thought of looking yet.

So does any one here have any idea if EF-S lens's work on cameras with the 1.3 sensor like the 1D Mrk IV? [:^)] Yea that is what I'm aiming for next. Well, if your gonna dream might as well dream high.

Thanks & Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Re: EF-S Lens & compatability:

Short answer as far as I'm aware is no. EF-S lenses are only compatible with APS-C (1.6x) sensor cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Iguide

So does any one here have any idea if EF-S lens's work on cameras with the 1.3 sensor like the 1D Mrk IV? [img]/emoticons/emotion-18.gif[/img] Yea that is what I'm aiming for next.
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Unfortunately EF-S lenses are not compatible with APS-H sized sensor (1.3x FOVCF) cameras like the 1D Mark IV. You'll have to invest in EF-mount lenses if you purchase a 1D Mark IV.

Quote Originally Posted by cfnz
    Short answer as far as I'm aware is no. EF-S lenses are only compatible with APS-C (1.6x) sensor cameras.

Excluding the 10D, where Canon had not yet come up with the idea of EF-S lenses.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston
    Excluding the 10D, where Canon had not yet come up with the idea of EF-S lenses.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Maybe not in the USA, but in Germany:

<table border="0" width="413" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"]
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td bgcolor="#f3f0f0" width="170" valign="top"]
    <h2 class="pbold"]Objektiv-Anschluss</h2>
    </td>
    <td bgcolor="#f3f0f0" width="2" valign="top"]</td>
    <td width="1" valign="top"]</td>
    <td bgcolor="#f3f0f0" width="5" valign="top"]</td>
    <td bgcolor="#f3f0f0" width="225" valign="top"]EF (keine EF-S Objektive)</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>

(no EF-S lenses on the 10D, see http://www.canon.de/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_10D/index.asp?specs=1)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

May be not in the USA, but in Germany: No EF-S lenses on the 10D.<span lang="DE"]

Hi cfnz, alexniedra, DavidEccleston, Yves, neuroanatomist &amp; Kayaker72:

Thank you all very much for that information. Could you please point me in the direction of where that information is stated. I'm kinda in the middle of a debate with my buddy on this and he refuses to believe that they are only compatible with only the APS-C and not the APS-H. As for me I only have one EF-S lens the 17-55 f2.8 IS USM, so it is not like I need to replace all of my lens's.

Thanks Again &amp; Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden" /><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden" /><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

That's exactly what David is (correctly) stating - EF-S lenses do not mount on the 10D. They do mount on all other Canon APS-C bodies (7D, 20D and up, and all the digital Rebels).

Could you please point me in the direction of where that information is stated. I'm kinda in the middle of a debate with my buddy on this and he refuses to believe that they are only compatible with only the APS-C and not the APS-H.

Hi Wayne,

Check the [url="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_1d_mark_iv#Specifications]1DIV specs[/url]: "<span class="bold_text"]Compatible Lenses:Canon EF." Compare that to the same section of the specs for an APS-C camera, e.g. the [url="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_60d#Specifications]60D specs[/url]: "<span class="bold_text"]Compatible Lenses:Canon EF lenses (including EF-S lenses)."

Hope that settles the debate...

As a side note, if you mount a Mk II extension tube (EF 12mm Extension Tube II orEF 25mm Extension Tube II) to an APS-H body (or a full frame body, for that matter), you can then mount an EF-S lens to the extension tube. Of course, you'll lose the ability to focus to infinity, and get a lot of vignetting, so you wouldn't want to do that. But, technically, you can make an EF-S lens compatible (sort of) with an APS-H or FF body that way (Bryan did that in his review of the EF-S 17-55mm, down near the bottom of the review).

Could you please point me in the direction of where that information is stated.

Another source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EF-S

Also, almost all of Bryan's EF-S reviews have some statment such as " Before reading any farther, you need to be aware that all Canon EOS cameras can accept EF lenses but only Canon EF-S compatible bodies (1.6x FOVCF only) can accept EF-S lenses. "

Finally, canon's website talks about it, most specifically the compatible camera bodies are listed on page 2 of the instruction manual for each EF-S lens . I don't see any APS-H cameras on that list. Here is the link to the EF-S 15-85:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_s_15_85mm_f_3_5_5_6_is_usm#BrochuresAndManuals