Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Technical Problems--Advice or Suggestions Appreciated

Technical Problems--Advice or Suggestions Appreciated

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]As some of you know,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I have been concentrating on hummingbird photography.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] As fate would have it,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] the more I learn, the more I realize just how much I have yet to learn.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I normally try and do a little research to resolve these issues and have done so on this subject to no avail.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Simply, <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]I have run into a stumbling block that I can't seem to overcome and am asking for suggestions or ideas from anyone willing to take an educated guess.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]So here we go:
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]The problem is "ghosting" I think,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] and ghosting is usually caused by light sources that are of different <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]durations, i.e. a flash and natural sunlight where you get a stroboscopic effect on fast moving subjects such as humming birds.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Recently,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I have run into a problem that may very well be "ghosting"<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] but it looks a little different than the usual ghosting-----It looks more like a silhouette than a ghost and is more common when I am shooting with a distant background (12-15 feet) rather than a close background (2-3 feet).<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I actually think I am getting a "bounce back" silhouette, rather than a ghost---Even if I am correct (and I am not sure that I am ),<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I do not know how to overcome it.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]My normal setup usually consists of the follow:
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]Full manual, manual focus, tripod, radio shutter release
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]7D, 500 f4 @13-15 feet from subject.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]two <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]430 exII flashes and one 580 exii flash on the subject bird triggered by one pocket wizard
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]two vivtar 285 hv flashes on background triggered by one pocket wizard
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]Even with all flashes set to 1/16th power output,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I am still having these problems
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]I shoot outside but in shaded area to limit the impact of direct sunlight.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]My initial settings <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]are intended to completely eliminate ambient light in the shade and those are normally 1/250th, f16, ISO 100 and I adjust from there if necessary.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]I do understand that same flash power on different flashes will yield different flash durations but the difference doesn't seem to be enough to warrant different settings on different flashes (I think--feel free comment and/or correct me on this "theory")
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]Here are some examples: (these are completely unedited and are not normally what I would post--they are intended to demonstrate the problem)
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]And here is one that has a tripple ghost---The background is only about 5 feet from subject on this one and is a pice of cloth---not natural.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]I do occasionally get lucky and produce a shot without this effect butit is by far the exception and not the rule. Any suggestions or insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]Thanks,
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]Bob

Bob

Re: Technical Problems--Advice or Suggestions Appreciated

Wow! I heard you talk of ghosting before but I had no idea until seeing these what you were really talking about! I did not have this on any of the shots I took so i am sorry I cannot be a ton of help but what did come to mind was Sean's ballerina photos when he was trying to get this affect.

community.the-digital-picture.com/.../58436.aspx

I am sure he is your man to help you figure out how not to do get this to happen!

Good luck ...I know you will get it figured out!

Denise

I have a guess, and it has to do with your shutter speed.

Are the pocket wizards you use the Flextt5? I believe (could be mistaken) that those will support high speed sync on the flashes via TTL which will allow for a much faster shutter speed, up to 1/8000. Not sure about any methods otherwise, haven't read up on the subject enough yet. Stil getting my feet wet with flash.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Also, another thought.. if you're eliminating ambient completely, rear curtain sync will probably do the trick. Fires the flash at the end of the exposure.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

I
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco

Are the pocket wizards you use the Flextt5? I believe (could be mistaken) that those will support high speed sync on the flashes via TTL which will allow for a much faster shutter speed, up to 1/8000. Not sure about any methods otherwise, haven't read up on the subject enough yet. Stil getting my feet wet with flash.

Rocco, Pretty good suggestion--but...From what I have read from the HB pros, they actually suggest sticking with standard sync speeds or less----They idea is that your exposure should come from your flash duration alone and not your shutter speed. In reality, you probably need a blackened room to truly achieve this. I am also not sure if you can do HSS in manual flash mode---But I may give it a try just to see what happens.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco

Also, another thought.. if you're eliminating ambient completely, rear curtain sync will probably do the trick. Fires the flash at the end of the exposure.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Haven't heard of that one before---but sounds like it is worth a try---Very interesting idea---Thanks
    Bob

@ Ben, you may have something here. I didn
    Bob

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

Yeah, Ben

Quote Originally Posted by nvitalephotography

Yeah, Ben's thoughts were exactly what I would have guessed it to be.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks Nick, It does make sense to me as well----Maybe one of our engineer friends can shed some light on the subject (no pun intended---well, maybe a little pun-[A])

Bob
    Bob