Thread: Losing the eyecup

Losing the eyecup

Just lost the eyecup on my XSi for the second time in a month. It happens when I

Re: Losing the eyecup

Never had mine come off but I notice lots of second hand pro cameras are missing the eyecup. I don

Years ago, a gun enthusiast told me that after I got my gun scope zeroed in, I should put some clear nail polish on the adjusting screws so that the scope would stay put. He said the nail polish is strong enough to hold the screws in place, yet weak enough to break through if you ever needed to actually adjust it for any reason. So, clear nail polish might work if it doesn't eat through the plastic (I'd try it out on another form of thin plastic to see if there's any problem--but I'd still probably avoid getting it on the rubber).

Quote Originally Posted by randmc
    Is there a reason I would ever want to remove one of these?

There are a variety of after market attachments that replace them. I have a few from Hoodman.

The 1D models have a positive retention, but the other models are held in place by friction. It might be possible to increase the friction by placing some thin rubber tape on the camera where the eyepiece rubs against it when installed. Otherwise, a 3/16 piece of black plastic tape wrapped around the eyepiece so it secures the eyepiece to body accross the top and bottom might work.

Mine seems to stay pretty well.

I suppose another way would be to sacrifice a eyepiece by prushing a thin layer of epoxy glue over the area of the plastic hooks that slide into the grove to make it slightly thicker and increase friction.

I would not ever try to glue anything into place.