Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera Bodies

Camera Bodies

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on their camera bodies moving forward. Are you looking for mirrorless to take the next step forward? Or is it already there (M5/M6, Sony/Fuji/Oly/Panasonic)? Are you set with your current body? Waiting for prices to drop? Or looking for a specific feature? Do you have an upgrade path?

I just pulled the trigger on a refurb 5DIV. This is about when I thought I would probably upgrade, about 1 year after the release. With a price of $2,379, I doubt I will see it for much less for awhile.

Ultimately, for me, the upgrade is a bit odd as I am very happy with my 5DIII. But I have decided on a strategy of selling my current body while there is still strong resale and I can resell it in good conscience knowing whoever buys it is getting what should be a great camera for years to come. My 5DIII currently has ~63K shutter actuations and used 5DIII's are going for $1,300-$1,600 on ebay. At this rate, if I waited another 4 years, I would be ~120-130k actuations, nearing the 150k actuations the 5DIII's shutter is rated and, thus, end of its rated life. Based on current prices of 5DII's, I would expect the resale would be less than $500, and justifiably so.

So, as long as the refurb camera body is as good as my experience with refurb lenses (which is excellent), I am excited about the upgrade.

But, this got me thinking, I just signed up for another ~4 years with a strategy of a single "generalist" do everything well camera body. I have added the M3/G7X II, but those are more for size/weight when needed. In terms of when I intended to go and shoot, I will be taking the 5DIV.

Given the cameras currently available, I still think this is the best strategy for me. But I can see my next upgrade cycle to be towards a two camera body system where the bodies are more specialized. Something like a high resolution (5DsR Mk ??) and something more geared for faster action (7D III or even 1Dx ??). I enjoy OVFs and generally like the ergonomics of the 5D cameras, so no current mirrorless camera appeals to me as my primary camera (the M3 is a great travel camera for when size/weight are factors, but, I am using the G7X II more).

So, that is my general path for my primary camera. Another 4 years with an excellent single camera I use for pretty much everything (5DIV), but I expect after that, I will be moving toward a two "primary" camera system.

I was wondering what other people where thinking?

I do not have such a well thought out strategy but I can tell you that I have had good luck with used and refurbed camera bodies....

I have owned 40D, 7DII, 5DIII 715nm IR, 5DIV, 5DSr, 1DIII, 1DIV and 1DX.

I bought them all used after they had been out a year or more except for the 5DIV and the 1DX.

I had no problems with any of them. I think buying them used or refurbed is a great money saving plan because they do depreciate quickly.

In the future I would like to see Canon make a mirrorless that has AF capabilities similar to DSLR and also a medium format system would be interesting.

Currently I have a 7D II, 1D IV, 5Ds R and a 5M (wifes).
    I feel like I am set for the next few years.

The next update to the 5Ds R might be of interest. Or the next 1D body.

Here is my dream plan.
    My plan in four years is to move to a one body system, a 60mp, 12 fps weather sealed body with excellent noise reduction and increased dynamic range.
    It will have a battery life of 1200 RAW shots and be full frame mirrorless with an AF system that never misses and is extremely fast.

I'm hooked on a two-body system, in the 1Dx and 5D lines. Having both available when I'm photographing a grizzly is a very happy time. I tend to upgrade sooner than I should (early adopter syndrome), but I never regret it. Even though the next upgrade is a few years away, I'm excited to see what it will be. With Nikon's new D850 out on the market, they've really raised the bar and I'm sure Canon will do their best to leap over it.

I'm in the good/bad position of being married to another Canon shooter. My plan these days is to buy a new camera annually, partly as a write-off and partly so that we don't end up with ancient cameras (two people * two cameras each). Right now, we've got two 1Dx, 5DsR, 5D4, and 5D3 (plus my trusty 1D3 that I refuse to sell). The 5D4 serves as both my wife's primary camera (lighter than a 1Dx, "safer" than a 5DsR as she's not disciplined enough to stay low ISO and shake-free) and a backup to "my" 5DsR. The 1Dxes get hauled out for action (not necessarily for frame rate, but for their responsiveness, and certain other features), and now that we got the 5D4, the 5D3 collects dust (actually it's on loan to my dad with our 100-400) but it is available for when we do Alaska cruises (I roll with three cameras) and when I need a remotely-triggered camera.

However, I'm really torn on what to get next. Do I wait for a new version of the 5DsR, and pay bleeding-edge prices for it? Do I get a 1Dx2 and begin to phase out the 1Dxes (or realistically sell the 5D3 and move the 1Dx to dad's place)? I don't see a need for two 5D4s: if my wife is shooting with two cameras, she's going to want one of them to be a 1Dx for action, and if I'm shooting with two cameras, I'm going to want a 5DsR or a 1Dx long before I want a pair of 5D4s.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

This year has been a disappointing year for those who feel the need to upgrade each year.
    Maybe next year we will see a 5Ds R II.

Very interesting reading what all of you are thinking.

In terms of yet to be introduced by Canon, I would likely be most interested in back side illumination (BSI) sensors, which is supposed to take sensor efficiency from ~60% to a theoretical maximum of ~90%. That would give ~0.5 stops improvement across the board and also max out what sensors can do. The Nikon D850 and Sony A7R II have BSI. Using DXO data, they have a slight advantage of the 5DIV depending on where you look. But, for the most part and despite the buzz, the 5DIV seems to hold its own and even beat them in some areas, so, as is usual, there may be a lot more to the story.

After that, I may want 120 to 240 fps in full HD video most. The 5DIV has 120 fps for "HD" video (720 p), so that is something I am interested in playing with. As I actually shoot a lot of family stuff and am working to mix in more video. I like the idea of taking a scene and slowing it down.

Then there are a few radom things, fast flash sync speed, built in intervalometer, etc. I do like the flip screen on my other cameras, but am not sure if I will like it on my main body. There is just a line that is crossed in how I am using the body.

Medium format could be an alternative to my super high MP camera that I can see wanting some day. My issue will be the cost of everything that goes into a new system (lenses, etc), but you never know and that could be a great two camera system (general purpose and MF systems)

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    This year has been a disappointing year for those who feel the need to upgrade each year.
    Maybe next year we will see a 5Ds R II.
    That is the rumor, a 5DsR II, 7D III, and a "new dSLR" next year. Speculation for the "new dSLR" seemed to focus on a high MP/lower fps 1D series body. Then full frame mirrorless in 2019 and the next generation of the 1Dx and 5D in 2020/2021.

It actually lays out pretty nicely if you think about it from a revenue generation perspective for Canon. Of course, add in new lenses/rebels/M series bodies in there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    However, I'm really torn on what to get next. Do I wait for a new version of the 5DsR, and pay bleeding-edge prices for it? Do I get a 1Dx2 and begin to phase out the 1Dxes (or realistically sell the 5D3 and move the 1Dx to dad's place)? I don't see a need for two 5D4s: if my wife is shooting with two cameras, she's going to want one of them to be a 1Dx for action, and if I'm shooting with two cameras, I'm going to want a 5DsR or a 1Dx long before I want a pair of 5D4s.
    Bit of a tough call. Even when new, a 5DsR will likely be less than a 1Dx II. Plus, the 1Dx series is intended to last longer. So, to me, you would really need to want a feature in 1Dx II to update. Otherwise, I suspect the 5DxR upgrade will be both less expensive and likely expand that camera's ability a bit more than the 1Dx vs 1Dx II. Of course, this is speculating about a yet to be announced camera.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 10-31-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Speculation for the "new dSLR" seemed to focus on a high MP/lower fps 1D series body.
    Lest we forget the 1Ds IV.

I think the days of two different 1D production bodies has past.

I think I'm going to go back to a crop sensor if the 90D / 7D Mark III offer a modest resolution bump, acceptable ISO, and improved dynamic range.

I've figured out I'm not willing to spend enough on camera equipment to really shoot full frame. I've enjoyed the 6D using it for 4 years now without an upgrade, but the 6D Mark II in my opinion is not a compelling upgrade and the 5D Mark IV is more camera than I really need.

I can't see myself leaving Canon because I like the lenses and don't want to lose all of the money in a system swap.

Dave

I don't really have a plan either. Currently using a 5dIII which I am very happy with. I'd like to upgrade, but I'm not sure any of the current bodies have any compelling features for me to justify the upgrade cost at this point. Having said that, I'm not really sure what I would like to see to prompt an upgrade....I suppose just general improvements across the board (MP, noise, AF, etc.). I would like to have an intervalometer built-in (which the 5dIII doesn't have), but that's not enough of a specific need to force an upgrade. My other issue is that I'm not sure I want to hang on to the 5dIII for several more years to possibly wait for a 5dV; I'm not sure my current camera would last that long. So I may be interested in one of the other 5d versions (maybe a new sR?). I looked at the 6dII, but seemed like more of a lateral move from my 5dIII.

Stephen