I have been using a monopod in my wildlife blind to support a 600mm f4 + 5DMK III w the battery pack. I found it very helpful to use the Wimberley sidekick in order to balance this heavy combo and noiselessly move the lens in and out of openings in the blind - a monopod alone was just too rigid. However, I was using a RRS monopod head to accomplish mounting the sidekick and it has an allen screw that constantly worked loose and created a wobble. It finally occurred to me that my L-plate was a solution. I could remove the L-plate from the camera, screw the 1/4 inch monopod screw into the bottom of the L-plate, attach a RRS sliding clamp on the right angle of the L-plate, slide the sidekick in and tighten down. This creates a rigid connection b/t the monopod and the sidekick mount. Since you don't need horizontal rotation w a monopod, this seems a weight economical solution. My only small worry is the 1/4 inch screw connection - I'd prefer a more robust attachment for this weight outfit, but I think this will be OK. I'll post a photo of the set-up if there is interest and this isn't clear. Here's a shot from my blind w original set-up (600mm II, 5DMKIII, 1/125, f4, ISO2500).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201A4732_lowres.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	1587