Thread: airports

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

airports

i feel like i know the answer to this already can you carry a tripod through the airport?

Re: airports

Only if it'll fit in the "approved" carry-on sizing container. Some airports are far more willing to work with you than others (after a coule trips with a shotgun my airport is used to me by now). I always err toward caution and pack my tripod in the suitcase... not like I'm going to need it before I get where I'm going.

I will try to disconnect my head (haha) and try to fit mine (Man. O55XPROB) diagonally in a suitcase when I travel this summer.

If yours is small enough, hopefully you can pack it away somewhere.

Good luck..

i always check mine becasue it is heavy. (Gitzo reporter Tripod and Ball Head) its heavy s i pack it away but i have carried it before and not had a proble at all. Really depends.

You should be fine if your tripod doesn't have spikes on the legs.

Quote Originally Posted by alexniedra
    I will try to disconnect my head (haha) and try to fit mine (Man. O55XPROB) diagonally in a suitcase when I travel this summer.

LOL!

i managed to fit it across diagonally after taking the head off, i wasn't sure if they would consider it as a weapon or not

Unlikely... but then again some airport security people have a funny idea of what does and doesn't constitute a "weapon". If it's in your checked luggage, it won't be a problem (unless it's been recently dipped in any chemicals that'll set off the bomb detector... which is extremely unlikely for the average person). As I mentioned earlier, I frequently travel with a shotgun in my checked luggage and it's never been a problem (okay, so there was one time where the tamper seal got broken in transit and the San Antonio airport cops went into a momentary emergency response mode when I showed up to collect it, but that was resolved quickly and without fanfare).

why on earth would you travel with a shotgun? This isn't meant as an offending question, just brute curiousosity!

I shoot trap as a competitive hobby. Not so much anymore since I don't have as much free time as I did a couple years ago, but I still manage to get to about half a dozen shoots every year.

I haven't had an issue, though I prefer to take it apart and put it on my suitcase.

Sure could beat somebody with it though []