Thread: A few bird shots from yesterday

A few bird shots from yesterday

Weather was FINALLY nice enough to really get out and do something! All photos taken with 7D and 300mm.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.26/IMG_5F00_1477.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.26/IMG_5F00_1666.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.26/IMG_5F00_1667A.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.26/IMG_5F00_1669A.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.26/IMG_5F00_1685.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.26/IMG_5F00_1740.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.26/IMG_5F00_1777.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.26/IMG_5F00_1829.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.26/IMG_5F00_1845.JPG[/img]

Re: A few bird shots from yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Weather was FINALLY nice enough to really get out and do something!

Same here!! Looks good Denise! [Y] The penguin isn't that good, but I like the rest of em!

Let the spring come![H]

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    The penguin isn't that good, but I like the rest of em!

The penguin was in a dark enclosure and this was shot thru a very dirty window so it's the best I could get it but spring was in the air yesterday and I was just snap happy! []

Denise

At least 50% of the pics in the set are clearly not sharp. You might want to check it out - it's either you or your gear. According to Bryan, you've got one of Canon's sharpest lenses. And you've also got a great camera, so such soft pics should raise a big red flag for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

At least 50% of the pics in the set are clearly not sharp. You might want to check it out - it's either you or your gear. According to Bryan, you've got one of Canon's sharpest lenses. And you've also got a great camera, so such soft pics should raise a big red flag for you.

I believe Denise cropped them to death [6]

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

At least 50% of the pics in the set are clearly not sharp. You might want to check it out - it's either you or your gear.

...or something else that's got nothing to do with technique or technology. The fact that Denise mentions an enclosure is a small clue, and the fact that penguins and peacocks aren't native to her part of the world is an even bigger clue that these are zoo shots. While penguins are flightless, the others are not, meaning some sort of aviary. Shooting them with a long lens and shallow DOF will blur out netting/mesh, etc., but nothing can eliminate it from the image - if you're shooting through it, it's going to result in reduced sharpness. Just my 2¢.

Nice shots, Denise, and I'm glad the weather cooperated!

You are correct. A few of them were taken thru very dirty glass. This was the best I could get thru the dirt and reflection.

Thanks for the compliment. []

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

I believe Denise cropped them to death [img]/emoticons/emotion-14.gif[/img]

Actually, some weren't cropped at all, the rest very little.

Denise

Okay, If you don't mind Denise, I will give you some technical C&C:

photo 1 – Try not to shoot birds above you. As a rule shoot subjects near your level (of course, BIF is the exception)

photo 2 - there seems to be a focus/sharpness issue. Maybe your focus limiter is set incorrectly?

photos 3/4 - nothing to critique really except head angle on #3. very minor [8-|]

photo 5 - I don't know of anyone that can get a good shot shooting through zoo glass. without the use of a hammer [6]

photo 6 - Beautiful bird. Try to avoid poles in the BG

photo 7 - were the reeds in the foreground on purpose or not?

photo 8/9 - you need to get lower and shoot at the bird's height so you can get a smooth BG. I am SO jealous you have American White Pelicans where you live. I'm stuck with mallards [:'(] JK they're not that bad.

Good Luck!

brendan