Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adorama's Used department

Adorama's Used department

This will be my first experience with trading in used equipment to Adorama. I was wondering if anyone else has traded in used equipment or items to them and what that experience was like? I have always had good customer service from them and just am curious about what to expect. I have photographed every inch of the lens just as a precaution if they do any damage to it while examining it. Any other suggestions before it ships?

Thanks to anyone with any thoughts on the matter.

Jayson

I sent some cheapie stuff into B&H a while back (XT, 18-55, 75-300 USM III) and was pleased with the transaction. I gave my ratings for my gear, sent it to them, and not long after a check came in the mail.

I can't speak for Adorama.

Dave

Re: Adorama's Used department

I'm sure they're trustworthy, but because of overhead, don't expect prices to be great. You're better off trying to sell it yourself like anything else. If you don't have the time/desire to deal with it. They'll be happy to look at it, and send it back if you don't like the offer (usually half of what they sell it for).
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke View Post
    I'm sure they're trustworthy, but because of overhead, don't expect prices to be great. You're better off trying to sell it yourself like anything else. If you don't have the time/desire to deal with it. They'll be happy to look at it, and send it back if you don't like the offer (usually half of what they sell it for).
    Agree completely.....extremely fast and professional. Advantage is you sell all your gear immediately in one transaction but at a price a little lower than you would get if you sell it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Agree completely.....extremely fast and professional. Advantage is you sell all your gear immediately in one transaction but at a price a little lower than you would get if you sell it yourself.
    Keep in mind, though, if you sell on eBay there's an eBay listing price, a percentage fee of the sale, then a percentage fee to Paypal. And that's not counting shipping charges if you don't pass those along to the auction winners (free shipping tends to garnish more attention). And then there's time invested in managing separate auctions.

Selling in bulk to Adorama starts to look like a good value when you consider all the details...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Keep in mind, though, if you sell on eBay there's an eBay listing price, a percentage fee of the sale, then a percentage fee to Paypal. And that's not counting shipping charges if you don't pass those along to the auction winners (free shipping tends to garnish more attention). And then there's time invested in managing separate auctions.

Selling in bulk to Adorama starts to look like a good value when you consider all the details...
    I sell everything on amazon for this reason. It's a flat 8% commission for photography gear and much easier to list an item.

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb View Post
    I sell everything on amazon for this reason. It's a flat 8% commission for photography gear and much easier to list an item.
    The best kept secret! I killed it on Amazon. It does take forever to get paid though.

Without a doubt I sell on Amazon

Re: Adorama's Used department

It is a best kept secret. So much so, I couldn't figure out how to do it when I had to sell stuff:/ It's been awhile though and I'm a little dense at times.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    This will be my first experience with trading in used equipment to Adorama. I was wondering if anyone else has traded in used equipment or items to them and what that experience was like? I have always had good customer service from them and just am curious about what to expect. I have photographed every inch of the lens just as a precaution if they do any damage to it while examining it. Any other suggestions before it ships?

Thanks to anyone with any thoughts on the matter.

Jayson
    Adorama used department always aims to offer 70% of the expected re-sale value, but of course, a final figure can only be given once they have had the opportunity to physically appraise gear. They send you a pre-paid shipping label so you can send gear into us for a thorough evaluation – fully insured – at no cost to you!
    They receive literally hundreds of items each and every day, (there are around 26-27,000 used pieces in the warehouse right now) so they generally ask customers to allow up to 8 days to look over items – especially as at least 2 (and sometimes 3) highly-skilled technicians will need to examine it.

Finally – and this is important – the selling prices on the website can only be a ROUGH guide if you are trying to figure out how much they might be able to pay you for your gear.
    When new models are released, the overall market tends to soften. Pre-owned units will usually drop in value, but they will still be looking to sell existing pre-owned stock(which may have been warehoused and therefore costing revenue for days,weeks or months) without making too great a loss on the price we originally paid.

In my experience, whileyou will be offered 70% of the current expected selling price (they need to covershipping,insurance, staffing, advertising, warehousing costs AND the bossexpects them to turn a profit), unless you are selling a genuine collectors'piece you shouldn't expect to receive more than 55-65% of the price you see onthe website.

If you are not happy with the figure you are offered, you can ask for your gear to shipped back to you, fully insured, at no cost to you.
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 06-30-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Added missing spaces between words
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    Helen@adorama.com