Thread: Off camera flash

Off camera flash

Does anyone know a good way to trigger a 430EX II and an Alien Bees B400? Right now I am using a $20 radio trigger that I got off Ebay to trigger the off camera 430EX II, which in turns triggers the optical slave in the B400. This works OK unless i want to use a shutter speed faster than 1/250, then it seems there is not enough time for the 430EX II to set off the optical slave in the B400. Is there a way for me to trigger both speedlights and studio flashes together? Or do I need to use just speedlights or just studio flashes?

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Off camera flash

Quote Originally Posted by Baker
    <div id="ctl00_ctl00_content_content_ctl00_fragment_121 6_ctl01_ctl00_PostForm__QuoteText"]

Does anyone know a good way to trigger a 430EX II and an Alien Bees B400? Right now I am using a $20 radio trigger that I got off Ebay to trigger the off camera 430EX II, which in turns triggers the optical slave in the B400. This works OK unless i want to use a shutter speed faster than 1/250, then it seems there is not enough time for the 430EX II to set off the optical slave in the B400. Is there a way for me to trigger both speedlights and studio flashes together? Or do I need to use just speedlights or just studio flashes?

Thanks,

Chris
    </div>

Chris,Unless your willing to spend more money on radio triggers, I can't think of any other way. Perhaps one of our strobists can come up with something more useful.

Bob

Bob

You can
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Peety said it best. Keep your shutter speed below 1/250 sec when using studio strobes. The best thing to do is use ND filters to bring your shutter speed in line. I do it quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Peety said it best. Keep your shutter speed below 1/250 sec when using studio strobes. The best thing to do is use ND filters to bring your shutter speed in line. I do it quite often.

Thanks! I can't believe I didn't think of that, it's so simple.

Of course, you'll need more flash power because the ND filter will knock down your flash power along with your ambient. However, with studio strobes, you've likely got the extra power to make it happen. I took the following shot this weekend using a CPL at just about full polarization (which makes you lose about 1.5 stops of light). I was using a relatively low power White Lightning Ultra 600 with a highly efficient Paul C. Buff 22" High Output Beauty Dish.

At f/6.3, ISO 100, 1/250 sec, and the CPL, I was able to bring down the 9:30am ambient sunlight significantly.