Page 266 of 557 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266267268276316366 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,660 of 5570

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

By the post office or the bus depot. Today, I saw the nest by the railroad tracks behind some business (can't think of the name of it) but I think it was down Blackhawk Drive. They posted sitings on ebird last year but not too many postings this year. Also, there is a page on facebook called Beloit Bald Eagles ...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/BeloitWIBaldEagles

This is a shot I took last year out there. It was taken by the river near the bus depot. If you click on the photo, it will take you to my flickr where there are a few others that I took that day. It was below zero out that day ...alot different than today!

BE by Denise Trocio, on Flickr
    Last edited by ddt0725; 02-19-2012 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Photo added

@Denise, you hawk picture came out so much better than the one on my roof!

Iam more like: Beginner's experience, beginner's gear, beginner's luck?
    I went on a bike ride along a little creek not far from where I live. I stoppped to take pictures of a crane and some ducks, and while I got the camera out, I saw the crane catching something (a frog I supposed). I started taking pictures, and only much later did I notice what really happened:

A rodent's end is a crane's breakfast. The struggle went one for about a minute almost until the crane gulped the rat down. You can see the whole series here (unedited yet), some of the pictures are quite dramatic.

All this happened right in the backyard of the silicon valley high tech industry. Right next to the creek are the parking parking lots of numerous office buildings.

Arnt
    Last edited by ahab1372; 02-19-2012 at 05:34 AM.

Ooh that's nasty Arnt, well captured and welcome to the forum.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Tufted Titmouse
    1DMKIV
    500mm
    ISO 1000
    f/5.6
    1/1600

I hope I'm not intruding with this shot. On the way home from trying to grab a few sunset shots, there was a huge commotion on the main road to Wellington Point. There were Wildlife rangers and literally hungreds of people pointing and taking photos.Sitting in the main street in a large gum tree wasthis large wedge tailed eagle. I only had a 200mm lens so this is cropped and noisy because it was dark, but it is something that I have never seen before so close to the city.
    This was a pretty big bird measuring about 3 feet from top to tail. The wind is blowing from the ocean behind the bird and ruffling his feathers around his neck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wedgetail.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	562
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    I hope I'm not intruding with this shot. On the way home from trying to grab a few sunset shots, there was a huge commotion on the main road to Wellington Point. There were Wildlife rangers and literally hungreds of people pointing and taking photos.Sitting in the main street in a large gum tree wasthis large wedge tailed eagle. I only had a 200mm lens so this is cropped and noisy because it was dark, but it is something that I have never seen before so close to the city.
    This was a pretty big bird measuring about 3 feet from top to tail. The wind is blowing from the ocean behind the bird and ruffling his feathers around his neck.
    Awesome find Steve! It's definitely not intruding.

Dave

WOW, Steve! I can't say I have ever seen even a photo of one of these! Lucky you to get a shot! I'm off to wikipedia to learn more!

Quote Originally Posted by dsiegel5151 View Post
    More Geese:

dsiegel, this is one of my favorite shots. How did you get the "models" to line up so nicely?

Here is a shot of three turkey vultures striking the pose. Not as pretty as the geese, I wonder if I always going to get the weird shots (crane eating a rat, vultures... well, there was actually a dead racoon right next to these three guys):

Arnt
    Last edited by ahab1372; 02-21-2012 at 06:28 AM.

I'm not a birder but was at the zoo today with my kids and my ef-s 18-55 IS kit lens. It's amazing how nice a shot one can get when the bird allows you to get about a foot away and use a flash...!

Name:	IMG_1195.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	575

This could definitely use some cropping I'm just not sure where.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
    I'm not a birder but was at the zoo today with my kids and my ef-s 18-55 IS kit lens. It's amazing how nice a shot one can get when the bird allows you to get about a foot away and use a flash...!

Name:	IMG_1195.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	575

This could definitely use some cropping I'm just not sure where.
    Here is my attempt:

Name:	IMG_1195_AH.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	576
    Removed everything that is not bird but not oof enough. The twig dangling down now does not look like random any more, but appears as if the bird was looking at it, or even about to "work" on it.