Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we doing the right thing?

Are we doing the right thing?

Maybe it is just me, but I think I see a decrease in forum postings on TDP. I hope I am wrong. We should promote TDP and its value on other sites, to new camera enthusiasts.

There is no other site I have ever heard of that has the LENS COMPARISONS that TDP has. And the un-biased body reviews too. What a RESOURCE.

When you buy something from B&H or ADORAMA, are you doing it thru TDP?

I try to spread this site around on other sites whenever I can. Is eveyone else doing so too? Any time you see the 1,000,000,000th time someone asks how lens X looks vs. lens Y, who do you refer them to?? The TOOLS section of TDP?

Not getting preachy, here, I hope. Just supporting something I think gives value to people. Happy new years, friends!
    Last edited by Scott Stephen; 01-05-2013 at 05:25 AM.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

It is a good thought and reminder that when purchasing from Adorama, B&H, and Amazon, clicking through TDP icons is a great way to support the site. Linking back to TDP is always a good idea as my understanding is that is one way a site builds clout in search engines. But I did a few random searches and TDP is still on the first page. I do both when appropriate.

Regarding the posting slow down, first off, I agree. I've noticed a small down turn of new people asking about lens choices...not huge, as there have been a few. I am not sure why this is. There has been a small down turn in the pros on TDP for awhile, but they are several that are still around as I can see them posting when something interests them. The biggest down turn I've seen in the last few months is from regulars, but that has happened every winter that I've followed the forum. I've always attributed it to weather and the holidays.

So, I didn't find your post preachy...it is a good reminder to do such things and I think we all agree, this is a great forum.

I have certainly brought many people to the site and have even conference called with a friend using the resolution tools. I miss Dan Browning's knowledge he has been rare since moving to Nikon.

I have benefited greatly from the expertise on the site, beyond the technical expertise. The spirit of helpfulness of the TDP'ers is simply not found anywhere else exceedingly few flames and wonderful apologies the one or two times it happened - even a TDP'er will have a bad - just less common than most.

I am hoping the slow down is that people are out taking pics and enjoying their equipment and sharing images, etc.

My perception is that there was a leap in technology 2 years ago or so, and lots of the tech was robustly reviewed and debated (sensor resolution mostly) I am wondering if people are searching the site for the answers to the questions before asking them and making use of the wealth info in the historical archives?

I enjoy the discussions of the TDP community, the questions, answers, and insights - even though I don't have a lot of time to push the shutter button, I can relive some of those moments with the discussion groups here.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Honestly, the quality level of images posted here is quite high compared to most sites. Maybe I should post more pictures here too, but you want them to be representative of the site's quality. Before I post anything here I want tho make sure they must be really good!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    Honestly, the quality level of images posted here is quite high compared to most sites. Maybe I should post more pictures here too, but you want them to be representative of the site's quality. Before I post anything here I want tho make sure they must be really good!

Dave
    Agreed.....but a person can contribute a lot more than just images and one is always free to ask for help with problem images or how to improve. I hope no one is being intimidated by the images already posted as I really do learn a lot from studying other people's work.

I have not posted much lately mostly because work, weather, short daylight hours and holidays have consumed my time. I still read the forum daily and I do try to spread the word about this site as it is unusually nice.

Maybe if the posters here would spread more rumors, flame a bit more, be hyper critical of everyone’s posts and work then offer veiled criticism we could get a few more posters and be as popular as some other sites. Don't forget we would also need at least one if not two grammar police (I had a word other than police but it was a bit offensive).
    You can increase the post count on the forum by just disagreeing with one part of a persons comment and picking on it. Their overall point can be valid, you just have to debate the small minute points in their post and try and show they do not understand what they are talking about.

But then the threads stay fairly civil here, and it is probably why some of us prefer this site. It is not the dark side of the forum scene.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 01-05-2013 at 04:26 PM.

There will be a seasonal downturn due to holidays, but also due to less light, less wildlife, increase hassle just getting outside in winter. I know it's summer down under, but there's far fewer members from the southern hemisphere.

I limit my number of posts because I expect there's a limit to the number of shots of Bella and Zuni that the general public is willing to put up with. For example, I had a third day of dogsled photos, but didn't think anybody would miss them, and some might be annoyed at seeing yet more of the same.

I also tend not to post many "great shot" and "+1" type posts. I find reading a forum filled with 90% of posts like that can get annoying. I tend not to have any in-depth critique to add, so no posts. I also worry about my lack of "great shot" type posts, because when I get them I appreciate them, and I'm depriving you guys of that. I honestly do like many shots posted here, but only comment of a few extra remarkable ones. It would be nice if we could +1 or "like" a post if we enjoyed the pictures, or learned a valuable insight, so we could show appreciation without worrying about clogging up the forum.

David, I don't think you have to worry about clogging the forum. The OP's point about the forum is correct. Over the last few months it has gotten very slow on the forums.

I say keep posting the Bella and Zuni photo's. Those who are not interested will just click out of the thread. Those of us who have never even seen a dog sled will keep on viewing.

Are we doing the right thing?

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Maybe if the posters here would spread more rumors, flame a bit more, be hyper critical of everyone’s posts and work then offer veiled criticism we could get a few more posters and be as popular as some other sites. Don't forget we would also need at least one if not two grammar police (I had a word other than police but it was a bit offensive).
    You can increase the post count on the forum by just disagreeing with one part of a persons comment and picking on it. Their overall point can be valid, you just have to debate the small minute points in their post and try and show they do not understand what they are talking about.

But then the threads stay fairly civil here, and it is probably why some of us prefer this site. It is not the dark side of the forum scene.
    I think I know which forum you are talking about and while I do read over there, I prefer to post images and contribute over here. Quality before quantity. Btw TDP is referenced quite often over there.
    The decline in posts is only temporary and seasonal I think.
    I do spread the word about TDP as often as I can. Maybe we should also share/like TDP articles on social media when there are new reviews or relevant news.
    Arnt

I've been using TDP for years for reviews of lenses and equipment, I think it is probably the most comprehensive website in that regard, but somehow didn't know about the forum until a few months ago. I started reading some threads and it seemed like a civilized and self moderated forum that I'd like to be a part of, so I joined. The maturity level around here is great. I've done a lot of browsing the net looking for reviews on stuff, and very often a link to something on TDP pops up on other forums, but usually are pointing to lens reviews or the ISO standard crops, not too much points back to the forum.
    - Eric
    Canon 7D, 70-200 f/2.8 II, 17-55 f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.8 II, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 2x III, 430EX II
    flickr.com/ericolsson