Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dropping lenses

dropping lenses

How far have you dropped a lens and still had it live to take more pictures? i dropped my 70-200 2.8 while i tripped with it on my shoulder the other day and was wondering if this could have any long term damage? everything seems to work fine but i was wondering if there could be any problems i am not aware of that could cause it to malfunction in the future. This is my onlt L lens and it is like a child to me becasue of what i went through to get it lol any thoughts comments?

Re: dropping lenses

If you want answers, you have two choices: send it into Canon, or don't send it into Canon. Unfortunately, it's that simple. The rest of us can tell you experiences, but none of us can give you specifics.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

thanks can they inspect it? how do you send it in? i have no expirience with this at all so i am clueless as to where to start. Thanks

Ive dropped a 300 2.8 about 7 feet, landed on the hood, but still works great. I know a guy who dropped a 70-200 2.8 and 1D2 off an elephant and still uses them to this day with no problems.

I once dropped an old sigma 70-300 cheaping and it shattered... L lenses are really made to take the abuse.

oh wow! thanks i might take it in somewhere to get it cleaned along with my camera anyway

It wouldn't hurt to have it checked out.

I dropped my 16-35mm several times from like table distance, and it worked fine with one exception. At one time I noticed it making a whining noise when it focused in one direction. I sent it in, and they said that it had something bent. They fixed it under warranty.

I just recently dropped my 180mm f/3.5 Macro off my shoulder when it detached from my tripod after the release latch caught a strap on my backpack. The hood was on it, and got scrapped, and the 30D got a few dents in the body, but everything seems okay.

I don't advocate dropping them, but they seem pretty durable

Dropped my 24 1.4 L once from Chest-to-waist high onto firm carpet once. It busted the USM and part of the mount ring. I sent in and they covered it under warranty.

i have noticed that people always send it into canon often and get it fixed fast for free.. but i bought mine from ebay and it came with the warranty card and everything as it if were new but it was only used like once... how can i make a warranty valid or get one? Is there a year free with it? Thanks

My rolled off the four foot tree stump that i was changing my lens on. If yourseems fine it probably is, but if you are still worried put it in for a service.

The 70-200mm f/2.8L IS is probably one of Canon's sturdiest lenses. See [url="http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/70-200mm-f28-is.htm]Ken Rockwell's review[/url] of the lens. He wrote:

[quote]
    <p align="left"]<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;"]I borrowed this sample from my friend humanitarian photojournalist Karl Grobl. He recently dropped it off an elephant to the cobblestones nine feet below while shooting in India. It landed hood-first and it, and his 1D Mk II, flipped end-over-end a few times. The elephant started to sniff around it before Karl could get off and retrieve it. This is the lens tested here; Karl loaned it to me to see if it still worked.
    <p align="left"]<span style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;"]Not
    only does this dropped lens still work, it's one of the best lenses
    I've tested for real-world use. It's heavy and expensive as you'd
    expect, and it always gives fantastic images under all conditions.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

[/quote]

Does that answer your question?
    George Slusher
    Lt Col, USAF (Ret)
    Eugene, OR