Thread: Lens baby and live view

Lens baby and live view

I read with pleasure someone's "OMG" enjoyment of the live view function on the new 5D mk II. It's also a a godsend for anyone using a lens baby orTSE lens. I upgraded from a 40D(and the need for an angle viewfinder). The 5D mk II's LCD ispure joy.

I submit two images in the hope you feel encouraged to try.[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.67/tulip_2D00_post.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.67/venus_2D00_post.jpg[/img]

Re: Lens baby and live view

hey Stefan....love the tulip...it has an ethereal feeling to it!!! soft, yet heavenly. very nice!!! the shadows on the figure look fantastic...yu should try that on a real model!!! LOve them both, and thanx for the comment on my photo. The LCD on the 5D Mark ll makes life so much easier.

This particular model waived the release form, took no money and stayed motionless for hours. On the downside, the model is a 30-cm tall, bad alabaster cast of a worse statue inspired by a great painting.

<Sigh...>

the wavy copy right is destroying the venus picture.

I won't say that was the intention, but I have had several of my pictures on another site copied and passed off as someone else's. I'm not that keen on heavy frames cutting through an image with "joe bloggins photography" in an arty font blazoned over them, because IMO that really destroys a picture. Anyway, that's just a personal preference. Sorry, you'll have to live with the copyright notice. Any other remarks?

This is quite off-topic, but where is that fantastic statue? I really like it...

OK, so you go to the Uffizi in Florence and see the picture. Then you go to Athens, the old (and tourist trap) part called Plaka or anywhere in neighbouring Monasteraki where you can buy "genuine" Ancient Greek warrier helmets, alabaster repros of statues now residing in London, Paris and New York and, as in this case, freely inspired alabaster molds with a mythological theme. I bought my copy, which is about 30 cm / 12 inches tall, as a joke to place underneath my print of Botticelli's Birth of Venus in my office. I think it cost me €20 (about $25 US). I was bored one evening and hit upon it as an interesting subject for its texture.

Going back to the topic, Mapplethorpe would take pictures of statues and make them human (I often found his human subjects too "statuesque", so to speak), but I thought I'd have a go and copying a great, albeit very controversial photorapher. Check out Celant / Ippolitov, "Robert Mapplethorpe and the Classical Tradition", published by Guggenheim Museum. The book does not feature any of his, er... "disturbing" images.

I am rather proud that the focus of my image is strong enough to make people ignore the subject's tiny scale and pretty bad execution!

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]I must be a last-word freak, but I thought I&rsquo;d add some depth, so to speak, to the whole Venus thing. Exif data first for this composite shot: Canon 5D mk2, Canon 85 mm prime @ 1/60, f/2.8, ISO 100, two speedlites. The only real PP other than compositing was to use the High pass filter / overlay mode of sharpening.
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]I think the Full Monty version highlights the mediocre quality of the copy, but I rather enjoy how the sculptor &lsquo;adapted&rsquo; a real model to a painting. Take a look at a good copy of the Botticelli and note the impossible pose, rounder right thigh and rather thickset torso. The statue model must be quite a beauty, although I&rsquo;m pretty sure Botticelli would never have painted a derri&egrave;re like hers&hellip;
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]I really think I should get out more often ;-)[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.67/venus_2D00_comparison.jpg[/img]
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]I keep making a mess of posting landscape images which are always wider than this page allows. In trying to tame the beast I may have altered the relative dimensions. I also forgot to another object for scale. All I can tell you is that the statue is 1.5 times taller than a bottle of Scotch which, unfortunately, is nearly empty.