Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please help- 50D vs T1i

Re: Please help- 50D vs T1i

Benjamin,

Thanks for the great response! I do shoot sports and more high-speed action photography more often than portraits, so the frame rate on the 50D is a big plus. I agree with how the 50D makes you feel more confident, it just feels so much better to hold and use.

High ISO with the 50D is a problem, but rarely do I need to use a high ISO. Plus, either camera will be a huge upgrade from the noise on the XT... So I don't think that ISO too much of a problem.

Movie mode isdefinitelynot a need, just a cool add-on to use every now and then. So, besides the movie mode and lower price (and maybe ISO performance), I see no reason to take the T1i over the 50D!

Thanks again for the great response and enjoy your 50D!

-Andrew

The ISO performance on the 50D is substantially better than on my XTi. With the XTi, I refused to shoot at any ISO higher than 200. With the 50D, I can shoot at ISO 800 and be decently satisfied with the results. The T1i might give it a run for its money, but either camera will be much better than your XT in high-ISO performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    More durable shutter (100,000 vs 50,000)

They are actually both rated for 100,000 shots according the the review.

I thought it was 50,000 as well, but Johan is right. I just checked the review- T1i is rated at 100,000.

Thanks Sean. Yeah, same here. I do anything and everything possible to keep the noise down on the XT... Luckily, though, I rarely need the high ISO speeds, so it isn't too big of an issue for me

the XXD series is on a 12 month release schedule so if you can wait untill August the 60d will have the video mode for you and will (probably) have a much larger improvement over the T1i in the ISO department.

Good point! I knew the 60D release was imminent, but the thing is, I have multiple photography jobs over the summer, so I need the best I can get now. I suppose once the 60D comes out I could sell the 50D and get the 60D, if it is worth it...

Thanks for the reply!

40D
    Mark

You've already had a Rebel, if you can and looks like you can, it's time to move on to a xxD body, I'd get a 50D for it's all its newer technology.

50D all the way lol... or either a 40D, but not a rebel.

My new 50D is also my first DSLR. I saw a friend's rebel few weeks ago and it felt so small and I felt like "where the heck I put my hand to hold it".

I'm not going to tell you he benefits as I guess you did your homework and the guys here told you them anyway.

You are also already set with your lenses and you shoot sports, so the 50D (or 40D) seems like the right tool for you.

Last thing, regarding ISO, even though you don't need it much - after looking again at Bryan's high ISO comparison between the 50D and 500D, I'm not sure at all that the 500D is doing better than the 50D - looks pretty much the same to me.

With the 50D you can shoot with ISO 800 without thinking twice (ok well I think twice even when I'm using ISO 200 but that's just me and my passion to perfection LOL).

In some situations, you can also get *great* shots at ISO 3200 and even 6400 I believe.

That's it for now, I'm off for lunch and then I'm gonna carry out my own high ISO performance tests with the 50D in "real world" (= my house LOL :P) rather then in the "lab". I already did that before but it was in the "lab" and only for ISO 800 and 1600, this time I'm going to check more seriously the 50D performance at ISO 3200, 6400 and 12800.

Cheers.