Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please help- 50D vs T1i

Re: Please help- 50D vs T1i

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison

the XXD series is on a 12 month release schedule
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I seriously doubt if Canon's going to do 12 months once again. Canon has once almost did the same thing in history when updating the D60 with the 10D, but they always just put back the production circle to 1.5 year after all. During the time between now and the end of 2009, Canon has much more anticipated products to be introduced such as the 2000D and the 1D Mark IV (i'm on this one!). It makes sense to get these two cameras done before giving the birth of a new 60D - because the time frame for such a schedule is more reasonable. The time for the introduction of 60D (or, actually, whatever it's gonna be called) naturally sits around the next PMA. That's the time line that I suggest. Looking at the current 50D, it's in no way worth an update as it still feels fresh and modern.

I will be totally amazed if Canon updates the 50D before the other two cameras I mentioned above.

But I agree with you, waiting is probably a way to consider too. However, I just noticed that the 50D here in Canada is sold at roughly CAD$1200 and the T1i is at CAD$1000 (according to Aden Camera), but in the US the 50D is sold at USD$1200 but the T1i is $800 (According to B&amp;H, and I assume that you're in the US). Some $200 difference is easy to overcome, but if I'm facing a $400 premium, i'll need to think hard too.

The T1i in the US looks like a bargain.

Hopefully my add-on does not toughen your choice...

<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Courier New';"]As a current 50D owner and previous Rebel owner I can say without hesitation to go with the 50D.
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Courier New';"]Like Benjamin said, on top of all the other upgrades:
    <div><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Courier New';"]
    • Better ergonomics &amp; built tougher
    • Faster &amp; more comfortable control (once you get used to the dials the 50D is much faster to handle
    • Much better focusing system (all cross type sensors makes a huge difference both in speed and sensitivity!)
    • Faster speed (Solid 6FPS, shorter mirror blackout time, shorter shutter lag)
    • Larger &amp; brighter Viewfinder

<font face="'Courier New'" style="font-size: 10pt;"]

The feel and build quality is far superior.
    </font>

</div>

<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Courier New';"]My father came out of an XT up to a 50D and he loves it too.

I'm a serious amateur with a good income from my day job, so when my Minolta got stolen I bought a 1D Mark III. While I was waiting for it, I bought an XTi. In the three weeks between the XTi purchase and the 1D3 arrival, my girlfriend got a 40D. So, I use all three 2007-vintage 10mp cameras.

Bottom line for me: the XTi is about to go up for sale, because the user interface is just so incredibly different than the one- or two-digit product lines. It's just not a suitable "backup" body for either of us. (I will admit that she thinks we're getting a 50D as our next body, while I think it's going to be a 1D4...)

Go for the 40D - it was an impressive value (features per dollar) for the price when it came out, and for the steal that it is these days it's just such a nice body to have. Only issue we've had with her 40D (other than operator error) is the Canon vertical grip went out to lunch one time, disabling BOTH shutter buttons. Otherwise, it's a reliable shooting machine, delivering what the operator told it to produce every time. 50D gives you a better screen and more pixels. If you're making wall-size prints from well-lit scenes, the 50D might have an advantage, otherwise the "features per dollar" scale points to the 40D in my opinion.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Ohh, I forgot this one. One more thing that I will buy a 50D over the T1i is the AF micro-adjustment. That's one of the most userful tools I have used to date, and that saves my 85/1.8.

But to Canon it really does not cost them anything to imbed such a feature to the T1i... But i guess marketing is more important to them.

Hey thanks a ton for the input everyone! Much appreciated.

I've taken all of your ideas/recommendations into consideration. As of right now the 40D and 50D are looking the best.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Ok well after some more consideration and posting on other forums, here's where I'm at...

40D- $940 (body+extra battery)
    T1i- $1060 (body+battery grip+extra battery+memory cards)
    50D- $1250 (body+extra battery)

Does anyone know when the T1i body is going to be available? My local camera store
    says its custom order and when they get it in they'll ship it in to me. B&amp;HsaidApprox. Arrival May, but now it says Approx. Arrival June.

Thanks

Hey everyone!

Just ordered a 50D!!!!! []

Thanks for all of your help, I'll keep you posted once I get it.

Thanks again!

-Andrew, the proud new owner of a 50D!

[Y]

Okay, maybe I've just got a little bit of body envy []

Definitely 40D or 50D over the T1i simply for the faster fps if you are into action photography. I am currently upgrading from a 400D mainly because the 3fps is too slooooooooow! I've taken so many sequences where I know one of the 'in between' shots would have been a real keeper if I had 6+ fps. I can't comment from personal experience yet, but the more accurate AF on the 40/50D's should be a decider too.